Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

ok, Im scared

Well my mom is through the halfway point with her treatments.  What can I say?  Im a nervous wreck and Im scared.  She Im sure has her moments, but she appears to be handling all this very well.  She is an incredibly strong woman.

Is there any chance that after her 6th treatment that she can have a remission spanning many many years?  Do some women enjoy a nice long remission?  The entire family has been rallying around her with love and support.  I hope this makes a difference in the form of a good prognosis.

Thanks for listening.  Bet wishes to all of you.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
110491 tn?1274481937
Alan, this question as you probably know, no one can answer. Some women are in remission for a long time and some only for a few months. There is absolutely no way to tell even from the response to treatment. If there was, my oncologist would not keep such a close eye on me.

During my treatment I did not think about it too much, but every once in a while the thought hit me that I can actually die from this. Now that the treatments are over my life is going back to normal FAST. It's been 5 weeks since the last treatment and I went on a trip to the coast, went back to work full-time AND started going to the gym - all things I could not do during treatment. And I don't give the cancer two thoughts. I refuse to. I will cope with it if and when it returns.

Anyway, so far, the post-treatment depression has not hit me yet. They offer post-treatment counselling at our local cancer center. Do you have a cancer support group where you live? If you do, I am sure they include relatives in their counselling. It's something you might want to investigate - don't be shy or embarrassed about it. You are not the only one struggling with this. God only knows what my parents go through...

Helpful - 0
I have no experience in what you are going through, but please know that you and your family are in my prayers.  Kasie
Helpful - 0
My mom is 17 months and counting in remission.  I have heard of women who never go into remission, and women who go into remission for 10+ years.  

It is very frustrating, but no one can predict what course your mom's disease will take.  The drs are doing the best they can for her.  I echo Milashka's suggestion of finding a support group for family members of cancer patients; I'd start by checking the American Cancer Society website: www.cancer.org .

Milashka, I'm glad you're through with treatments and taking back your life!  Love the positive attitude!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.