Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Still undecided?????????????questions going on in my head.. help needed

I think i am becoming a pest on this site now. i hope not but here goes. some questions for you ladies
1. can a surgeon gyno tell just by looking at an ovarian cyst whether its malignant. that is by laporoscopy not just scan.
2. can even simple cysts that become hemmoragtic last as long as mine. at least 18mths as we know to.
3. can you probably have a cyst all your life.
4. would you go ahead and have the biopsy even if the biopsy meant total ovary removal as i have been told.
5. i know 99% of cysts are benign but can even simple cysts become cancerous.
6. am i being dramatic thinking about the biopsy of something that looks normal from laporsocopy. my cyst is about 37mm.
7. my cyst had changed from last time is was scanned and had an irregular shape to it but the surgeon thinks from looking inside by the lap that its  blood. can a maliginancy have blood in it.
help me to decide whether to have this little foreign body taken or not.
has anyone out there been diagnosed with ca when innitially they were diagnosed with something that looked benign. how long can ovarian cancer take to materialise into something that shows symptoms. lots of question, i know, but they are swimming around in my head and i need to off load.

kind regards, karen

5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
my symptoms that i have never related to this are back pain when lying down, side pain around the back on the opposite side to the cyst and severe bloating, the bloating is definately gas though. i look pregnant sometimes but i only weight 8st 3lb. i also have had unexplained high white cells of around 12500. not overly high but still above average.
Helpful - 0
hey k, first of all you're fine with all your questions, questions are GOOD! i'll try to help you with as much as i know. i too am waiting to have surgery on my 2cm 'mini-me' on my right ovary. the only way to see what a mass truly is (benign or malignant) is to test it. us and mri's can only detect that there is something there. i am having my entire ovary removed, with the way my 'mini-me' is, it's exophytic so it's not like they can just cut it off and safe the ovary. the only way that i know of to see what kind of mass it is, is to have it removed. have you asked your doctor these questions? what is he/she saying? let us know and Good luck
Helpful - 0
Hi Karen.  I don't know how old you are, if you want more kids, etc.  Do you still have both ovaries? If you are through with kids you might just want to have them take the cyst and ovary and be through with it.  No more pain, no more cyst, no more worry about how long it was there or if it's becoming cancerous.  I believe there are quite a few women here who have had babies with only one ovary.  

Just an opinion...
Helpful - 0
i am 40 and no i do not want any more children. my cyst should not course any problems as the gyno says but after reading on here i have somewhat related my other probs to this since.
Helpful - 0
135691 tn?1271097123
My biopsy showed borderline tumors, and when my Dr. opened me up, he knew right away it was cancer - I guess they know what exactly to look for. The only symptom I had that caused me any problems, was a pain in my bladder - and I got told twice it was just a bad bladder infection by two different Dr's. I had stage 3c Ovarian cancer and I really felt fine - very scary. If something is wrong, I would advise you to take your ovaries out. Why chance it? I'm now 27, and on HRT, and am really doing well. This is certainly not what I would have chosen at this point in my life, but it's amazing what we can handle when put to the test.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.