Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Back at home after Surgery. Not any good news.

Hello everyone, I am home after the Laparoscopy. I am really hurting but they gave me a lot of pain meds. The doctors came to seem me in recovory and said I need to see him first thing monday. He said with me being so medicated in recovery he did not want to go into details, he needs to talk to me personally when I can comprehend him. Any way from what he told my husband and mother, they had to back out of the Laproscopy surgery quickly becaust he feared I would bleed to death. He couldn't get to my ovaries or any thing else because the lesions and scare tissue was severe. So I am unsure what is going on. The other doctor went to say somthing about a hystorectomy but he asked her to be quite because he did not want me to know any details just then. He wouldn't wait until my regular schedualed appt. for Wendsday, he wants to see me  first thing Monday morning. I relized somthing went wrong when I woke up in recovery and both my docs were there beside my bed. I am supposed to stay off my feet and watch my temp etc. And watch my vaginal bleeding to make sure I don't hemerage (spelling ?)

Does any one know anything about these sort of thing? Or what I might possibly be facing? I am scared and confussed. I thought when I woke up it would all be over with. But it's just starting. They couldn't do anything I guess.

I hope all of you are doing good, and I am still praying for all of you. How is SonieK doing?

Anyone ever been through this please help me. Thanks.
17 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
To try to answer your last question, if you do end up with a laparatomy and hysto, normal recovery is about 4 days in hospital and about 6 weeks out of work.  But with all that scar tissue it could be different as the surgery sounds more complicated.

I'm trying not to be too judgemental of your docs, I don't know what type of consents they had you sign or what they were expecting, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that because you're only 29 they didn't want to open you up and remove everything unless you understood clearly that was what was going to happen. I would think that if they saw anything that lead them to believe you had ovca that was spreading they would have gone ahead and opened you up instead of giving up on the lap.  And no, we certainly don't want you to bleed to death!

I hate that you are having such an awful time.  Endo can cause adhesions, and they stink.  At least you know you weren't crazy with all the symptoms you had described in your earlier posts -- you had real symptoms for a real reason!  And hopefully it was the adhesions and scar tissue that caused your symptoms, and not ovca!

Good luck and keep us posted.
Helpful - 0
108861 tn?1227246048
Hey Missy,
     I know you don't have the answers, just want you to be equiped with the questions.  From what you do know, I am hoping Mickey drops by as she is our resident Subject Matter Expert (SME) on endometriosis, not that you know that's what it is yet but it is a possibility and you need her info.  Also, should the hyst be the recommended plan by your Dr. (I am not terribly fond of him, I won't lie to you Missy, he made me furious enough to shake this morning when I saw your post!!!)  Mary53 is our resident SME on Menopause remedies but you are so young Missy, I hope you don't require her counsel, you can avoid surgical meno if you can keep one ovary.  
     I was glad to see you drop into Cyber Party but not surprised!  As I recall, your last post pre-op was about every other Cyster here, not yourself!  I meant what I said Missy!  You are a true Cyster and I am proud to be countedas one with you!  Mary V
Helpful - 0
Sorry, no he wasn't able to do a biopsy because everything was covered with the lesions and scare tissue. He said my pelvic and all was covered. He tried to cut through it but it was to severe.

Any thing you all have to offer will be greatly appreciated. I am writing down the questions so I can ask the doc, and maybe become more informed of my situation. Being clueless realy doesn't help my stat of mind.
Helpful - 0
No, I don't know any of the answers to those questions. I will be sure to find out. I do know that he is in practice with a gyn/onc doctor. I have really been left in the dark here. If my option includes hyst, what should I know about that. Do I have to stay in the hopitial, if so how long? What about recovory time? Would I have to take pills or shots, if so how long? There is a lot of things on my mind.
Helpful - 0
Yes, I have got my mom to go with me and my hubby. Since I havn't been through this before, can anyone tell me what kind of questions should I ask to be able to get all the info out of the doctor so I can make an educated decision. I just hope it isn't a rush rush situation like it was last time.
Helpful - 0
Hi Missy,

I'm really sorry you're in alot of pain right now and you've had to wake up after the laparoscopy to information which to be honest would worry anyone but I think if you have alot of adhesions and scarring the camera the doc inserts during the laparoscopy cannot move around to see what's going on inside, consequently the only way to see exactly what's going on is to do a laparotomy (open incision), many docs won't do this automatically as it's a fairly major op and they usually require consent, plus I would advise getting a gyne/onc to do an open laparotomy as they have the expertise in removal. If it helps at all my pelvic area was completely matted together with adhesions and scarring from Endo and then fused to my bowel and bladder so there is no way a laparoscopy would have been possible for me so please don't worry too much.
My thoughts and prayers are with you at this time.
Helpful - 0
One thing is for sure, you MUST rest. Please do stay off your feet and try to rest as much as possible. It sounds like your body has been through enough and needs some healing time. And I echo the other ladies, make sure someone goes with you to your appointment.

Good thoughts.
Helpful - 0
I know it's difficult to think about at the moment as everything is up in the air, but it maybe worthwhile thinking about your action plan and what you want to do as you're only 29, I would suggest you write down all the questions you have and ensure the doc answers each and every one to your satisfaction, have you got someone to go with you on your visit as it helps having someone else there to support you, I've found they tend to remember things the doc has said when you forget?
Helpful - 0
Hello again...we need your e-mail...if you don't want to give it out..mine is  ***@****    now you can e-mail the info to me if you'd rather, of if you don't want us contacting you via e-mail..just ignore me!
Peace, kiddo.
dian
Helpful - 0
108861 tn?1227246048
Let's start a list and lead off with..
1.   Was he at least able to do a biopsy?

2.  Confirm he is an ONC

3.  What is you CA125 blood test result?

You will be asked to provide consent given two scenarios;
If benign, what will you to consent to removal of?  My Dr. wanted to remove both my ovaries but gambled and kept healthy one in hopes of natural meno.  Tough choices!
And worse case scenario, if any malignancy is found, usually the works, I consented but had a pretty strong feeling I would not need that plan.  Good thing as I had no ONC.  Terrible gamble on my part.  What questions can you think of?  Does DH have questions?  Your Mom?  Bet they do!  You Friend and first Cyster, Mary V
Helpful - 0
Thanks for all of your support. And I do know it was lesions and scare tissue that got in his way. Maybe it was from endo? as you all said I will know more Monday. The waiting is driving me crazy. But, I think he was trying to protect me until I was coherent enough to make a discion on my own. The cysts are still in there. He said he tried to cut through and remove some of the lesions and scar tissue but it was way to severe. He told my hubby and rest of my family it was all over everthing. And he had to stop because he feared I would bleed to death. And now I am at home stressing out about it. I am unsure if it has got to other parts of my organs or not. Maybe thats what caused my appendicities a little over thirty days ago? He has me on percocets and phenergain (spelling?) My sister got upset and said "Is he keeping you druged up until Monday to keep you from tripping out" No, I think he is just tring to keep me comfortable. I really don't know. As for the GYN/ONC I beleive he is, but thanks to all of your advice I will make sure Monday or at least have one to assist. Can any of you shed some light on this, maybe have been through it. Can it go to your other organs like you appedix.Any info i get before Monday will help me to ask questions and better inform myself. Thanks to all of you.

Helpful - 0
If it is endo then yes it can spread, it is a nasty painful disease that does attach itself to other tissues not just in the pelvic region, I'm sorry I don't know you're age but if it is endo there are a few different things they can do to help, so please try to rest and not worry.
Good luck for next week, I hope you have a pain free weekend.
Helpful - 0
Hello, thanks everyone for replying I am 29 and besides what they told me about the lesions and scar tissue those nasty little cysts are still in there. yuk!!!!!
Helpful - 0
132752 tn?1273342273
Missy!
I feel so badly for you right now...between being physically sore and mentally fried this is way too much to deal with!  Is it possible that the doctor was talking about adhesions?  If so, they are scar tissue that tends get in the way of things.  If you do have adhesions, Its quite possible that the surgeon was unable to access your ovaries because they were thick.  Certainly, they can cause heavy bleeding if they really limit visibility for the surgeon.  That's not to let him off the hook for not giving you info ASAP!  I'm with Mary on this one...he'd better be watching his eyes!  I hope you'll have someone accompany you to the visit on Monday.  In the event that you both have difficulty remembering what's being said to you, please please please bring pad and paper with you to take notes.  I'm sure between now and then, you'll be getting additional info and support from the Cysters here to bring with you.  In the meantime, please stay strong and take care of yourself.  Our thoughts and prayers are with you!
peace,
Anne
Helpful - 0
This is...wow...what a mess. These guys have to be two of the most insensitive idiots I have heard of so far.....well, I guess all you can do is wait...and in that wait I am certain you will imagine every bad thing possible.....yup, we all will!  My saying your'e not alone doesn't help...I know that...even with my husband sitting right there next to me I could feel alone. I am having trouble understanding this...surely there was no gyn/onc involved....I can't tell you how...I am just bewildered.  I am very anxious for Monday to get here....I read your post right after you posted...I walked away not knowing what to say..I still don't.  All you can do is try to keep your mind busy on other things..yeah, right....hmph....just keep reading the dumb stuff we continue telling you to do...but know we are trying to help.. if only a little bit! Maybe we could start telling you jokes...I am a terrible joke teller...oh...maybe we could send you the silliest e-mails we have received.....let me know. I think that's a good idea!
I would do anything to help...wish I could.
Peace.
dian
Helpful - 0
108861 tn?1227246048
Hello Missy, I have been waiting for you!  I am glad you returned as you have, once again, not been given the whole story.  As I recall, you were scheduled for the exloritory Lap four days from when you were seen to discuss the US and Cat Scan results.  You were fairly certain your Dr., who delivered your youngest girl, was an ONC.  Is he?  I recall he advised you preop that they would do an open surgery if they found a lap inadequate.  That did not happen and now he has left you in terror till Monday!  I could scratch his eyes out for that and know I am not the only one who feels this way!  You are one of our own Missy!  The Cysters will be by to advise strategy.  The Battalion is right behind you Girl!  Mary V
Helpful - 0
Sorry, question, what are lisions and what are the caused by?
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.