Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

hot dog i learned to do it myself

ok,i know this is probably not type of thing many people can even be so proud about,but,when i got released from the hospital after my 2 surgery,the nurses told me i may be able to actually learn to pack myself...i thought they were crazier than anything ive ever been around..then after this 3 surgery,i thought they were even crazier,and wondered where they got there daggon nursing license...well ill be dipped if i didnt decide this morning,if my home health nurse,and my hubby can this 2 times a day,surley to god i can...so,i did it!!!ive learned to pack my own incision..i know this is very gross for some of you,but im proud of myself...lol....i go to the doc tomorrow for the bleeding,and for the complex cyst on my right ovary,pray that god gives me the stregnth to not knock his teeth out..happy mothers day to all you wonderful ladies.....sonie
9 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
132752 tn?1273342273
Thank you for the info.  You're definitely a strong woman!  The nurse was here this moring and said it was possible that our insurance would cover visits every three days starting next week.  I'm set to see the surgeon again this Friday, but the original orders were only for 10 visits. I believe that we've passed that already.  I guess my big concern is not being able to see if the lower section (closer to the pubis) is filled all the way in.  I'm certainly going to try it on my own though.  
peace,
Anne
Helpful - 0
You're awesome, Sonie!  What a fighter~
Helpful - 0
hey there...no,i dont use a mirror,i lay flat,then i use my fingers(with gloves on of course)to insert the packing..i have the choice to use the long qtip thingy,or my fingers,and it was easier for me to use my fingers as i could actually feel where the packing was going in,and make sure i had enough in there..once i was finished,i did have ben check it,just to make sure it was all done ok..ben and my homehealth nurse is doing wondrful also,but i felt like i should learn myself because ya never know,strange things have happend,and i didnt wanna be tuck with absolutly noone here to do it..my mom absolutly refused to learn to do it,and bens the only one i have,,so i pretty much decided to learn on my own,plus it gives ben a break some,he been doing it since the 17 of march,im feeling sorry for him!hang in there,it does get better..sonie
Helpful - 0
132752 tn?1273342273
Seriously...do you use a mirror to check it?  I wish I could do my own, even though the nurses and my husband are doing a great job.  I know what the process is, but I can't imagine laying flat and doing it.  Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted!
peace,
Anne
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
You go girl!  You are absolutely amazing!!!!  Luv ya
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
as far as the incision wise,i do feel better,its my right side thats killin me now..im sooo sick of getting these cysts..i had thought about you the other day,and wondered how you were..was it scarey for you the first time you packed yours yourself?i was nervous this morning,but i just had to try it myself,and i did it..tonights packing i wasnt as nervous,and then i made dh come and look to make sure it looked ok..of course,all he could see was the outside with the packing in it,but the pckings in it,so that must be good right??lol...im glad your feeling better,and im with you,i feel like i will forever have ahole the legnth of a football in my stomach..it will get better though,and one day,we will be hole free..lol..take care girl....sonie
Helpful - 0
im also a do it myself wound packer...lol.  Ive also been through the multiple infections and am still dealing with this fistula. Im beginning to live with the thought that i might have this hole in my stomach for all eternity and there after.  :) Im finally starting to feel better though, and i really truly hope you are too.
Patty.
Helpful - 0
hey there!i know exactly what you mean..when i was pregnant with my triplets,i went into labor at 24 weeks...i was put in the hospital on mag for many days,then after i was takin off the mag,i got a pump that injected breathen into me.i was in the hospital for 4 weeks,but before they would release me,i had to show them i could do the needle changes myself..they went into the upper part of my leg,and while they didnt hurt to terribly bad,it was just the thought..i remember sitting there many times,going to do it,and pulling away,trying it again,and pulling away,finally stuck it in,and all done,thank god the needles only had to be changed once every 3 days...lol
Helpful - 0
Just to let you know Soniek ..I work in the medical field and i have no problam taking care of others incisions  , packing open wounds cleaning ulcers and all sorts of yucky things ...but when it comes to my own ...I freak ...had to learn how to give myself injections / blood thinners ...nurse had to come first week ...just couldn't do it ...but finally closed my eyes one day and did it myself ...good thing it was in my tummy ...had a wide space to hit ..as i said my eyes were closed ....giggles .
So good for you..
Keep  your chin up and give yourself that well desreved pat on the back..
Takecare Lex
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.