Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

surgery tomorrow morning and really worried

Ok so I've handled it fairly well for the past few weeks while testing and pre-op and all of that. Tomorrow morning at 9 am I have surgery and I am scared to death...I think. I am watching tv and keep thinking over weird scenarios. OMG what if I don't wake up. OMG what if I wake during the surgery. Ok so I'm slightly paranoid. I'm afraid of waking up to be told that I have cancer. Bottom line. I don't know what how to function with this in my head. This is harder and harder as it gets closer. My mom is going with me and she is completely unsupportive. She called today to see if I had updated my will. I mean my god! I already know that I will need peace and quiet and to be just left alone when I get up tomorrow and she won't give it to me. Sorry. I just need to vent.
11 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi - I just has a laproscopy this past Friday to remove some ovarian cysts and some endometriosis.  I was very scared for the weeks preceding the surgery.  I also had thoughts of not waking up or waking up during surgery.  But everything went smoothly.  One thing you can do is if you are extremely nervous like I was in the pre-op room, you can ask for something to relax you before the surgery.  They put it in my IV and believe me, it worked in less than 5 minutes.  Also prayer helps.  I had some of my friends praying for me the day of the surgery.
Helpful - 0
Susie~
My butterfly brigade must be joining with yours! I have sx Wednesday at 9am. I understand the will thing... I actually updated mine on my own, but I guess it's better to do it and freak a bit then to end up in a bad situation.
***Hug***
You'll be fine.... talk to us and let us know how you're doing!
~Marianne
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
I hear your fear and I understand it.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  I look forward to hearing from you on the RS.  Godspeed.
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Alright....you know you need to have this procedure done...right?  You trust your doctors...right?  You have thought this through....this is not a spur of the moment activity...you have a reasonably well balanced head on your shoulders...right?You have the information and knowledge you should have...right? You are a normal woman who is entitled to feel anxiety..right? Clearly you know you have the right to be scared because if you didn't have any there would be something wrong.
Now...if you have cancer....you just have cancer....you will deal with it...just like the rest of the 1% of us have....you have no choice so just buck up and get this surgery in your past.  The sooner it is in the past the sooner you can get on with the journey of healing.
Breathe deep, stand up straight, look forward and get on with it....if you can't sleep tonight so what.....find something to read on line or watch t.v.  In 24 hours the "wait" wait will be over.
If your mom is a problem..first make sure this isn't her way to deal with the same fears you have..let her talk...then if she doesn't straighten up just tune her out....we can all do that.  This is the hand you have been dealt and I'm certain you are strong enough to handle it.  
You can and will do this...you will be a more valuable human and stronger from this experience.....you can do it.
I will anxiously await your voice with your news afterward.
Peace will be with you.
dian
Helpful - 0
108861 tn?1227246048
Hey Lady!
     I heard there were flutterbies to chase off!  I'm thinking my Cysters beat me to it, I hope, oops, there's one!  I whooshed it away.  Susie, you are going to make it through this!  Tonight is actually the worse part as it is the end of the wait and see bit.  We are all supportive of you, you know that!  And I will ring my bell in class for you tomorrow!  Lotsa Love!  Mary V
Helpful - 0
SUSIE,
GOOD LUCK TOMORROW...AND DON'T FORGET GOD IS WITH YOU...HE WILL NEVER LEAVE YOU OR FORSAKEN YOU...TRUST IN THE LORD WITH ALL THY HEART, AND LEAN NOT UNTO YOUR OWN UNDERSTANDING..

:)
Helpful - 0

Hey, Susie,
Before you even know it, you'll be out of surgery. Things will be gentle and kind; trust me. We'll be waiting to hear from you post-op. Love and prayers go with you!
Annette
Helpful - 0
132752 tn?1273342273
I'm not sure if you'll get to see this before you head out to battle, but just a reminder that my thoughts and prayers are going with you.  Stay strong!
peace,
Anne
Helpful - 0
my thoughts and prayers are with you. i had surgery wed and had the same thoughts and feelings i was so scared but here i am
Helpful - 0
Is there someone else who can go with you?  My goodness, you certainly don't need that type of "support"!  

You're not crazy, before my hysto I was paranoid that something would go wrong with the anesthesia and I would die.  I cried from the minute we got to admissions until they put me under. The nurses were very understanding.  Of course I woke up fine and dandy.

We're all sending you warm thoughts.  Just remind yourself, after tomorrow the waiting and wondering will be over!
Helpful - 0
Please do not be soory to vent, that is what we are here for.  I know it is so scary the night befor surgery, as we have all had the same thoughts that you are having now.  Take a deep breath and know that we are all  behind you and we are praying for you as well.  I am sorry that your mother is so unsupportive of you.  I wish you were going to have someone more supportive going with you.  Will you have someone at home who will be able to help you?  I will be sending good thoughts and prayers your way.  Kasie
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.