Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

ovarian cyst and menorrhagia or is it hemorraging?

I was bleeding heavily for 5 weeks that resulted me getting anemic and  had  an ultrasound done and showed that I have a cyst on my left side of the ovary, about an 1".  My ob/gyn said that I shouldn't be worried about it.  He said that it would be monitored and wait 2 months more for another ultrasound and see if it might go away. I WONDER IF THE CYST AND THE BLEEDING ARE RELATED. After pregnancy, the last 2 months prior to this is when I started having periods again (light and medium flow, but no pain).  This is the first time that I bled straight for over a month, but no pain. it just felt strange--like something cold in my uterus and it was very tender.) It started with 2 days of dark, dark brown (almost black discharge with a foul smell and very dark red heavy period with  a "smell" the first week), the foul smell went away and the color changed to bright red  over the duration of the menstruation.  My history is for the past 10 years or so, I always have very heavy period  with large blood clots similar to those liver pieces and painful for 5 days but most severe on the first 3 days.  I get very bloated during the course of time, pale,  and no energy.

I just turned 40 yrs., had a baby 8 months ago (natural birth) and still breastfeeding him.  I also have hypothyroidsm, half of it was removed 7 yrs. ago (a year after my firstborn) since it gotten bigger.  Sexual intercourse can get painful with a trace of whitishbloody discharge after.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi Mishelle,
Yes, I was checked for fibroids but he said that he didn't feel anything.  He is treating the bleeding separately from the ovarian cyst.  Seems like the ovarian cyst is a "wait-and-see" what will happen.  He gave me 3 options on how to relieve the the heavy menstruation of which I have to think about what I would do. The first one is to take some medications, 2nd is to use some kind of an IUD, and the 3rd is scraping the uterine wall (he said he has to take some sample first for this procedure).  And he said, while he's there, he suggested that I might opt for tubal ligation.  So I'm thinking about it and would probably decide by June.  One thought crossed me is hysterectomy but I'm still gathering more info. I found out that 2 of my aunts (on my father side) have had ovarian cysts.  (one ended with half of her ovary removed, the other one ended up with the cysts spread up into her lungs.)  I'm not sure whether this can be passed on from  both parents side to  their children. My  kids were  my very first thought when I found out about this.

How about you and how are you doing now?  Were your bleeding right after the delivery of the twins?  or has a few months passed before it happened?  What was your case?
Helpful - 0
Did your dr check for uterine fibroids. When you said something about the clots looking like liver it reminded me of a conversation I had with my gramma. She told me that when she was young she bled heavily and passed big clots that resembled liver. I also had severe bleeding after the birth of my twins but no clots. Was told the endometrial stripe was 8mm which was extremely thick. I really dont know the answer to your question regarding cysts and heavy menstration but I am sure someone will be along that will have answers. If you are not comfortable waiting let your dr know. Your babies deserve a mommy that feels good and you deserve to feel good too. Erika
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.