Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

been thinking alot

WELL EVER SINCE I LEFT THE DR. YESTERDAY I'VE BEEN THINKING ALOT MAYBE A HYSTERECTOMY WOULDN'T BE SO BAD.  COULD SOMEONE GIVE ME SOME INSIGHT ON WHAT TO EXPECT?  I AM ONLY 27 AND I DONT WANT TO GO THROUGH THIS TYPE OF CANCER SCARE ANYMORE.  I HAVENT BEEN DIAGNOSED YET BUT THE DR. STILL SAYS W/ THE FAMILY HISTORY IT WOULD BE SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT. IF SOMEONE COULD DROP ME SOME INSIGHT I WOULD GREATLY BE APPRECIATIVE.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
The only real con I can see (besides not being able to bear children) would be that you would be forced into surgical menopause and have to be on hormone replacements until real menopause happened. If you don't mind the daily hormones, then it wouldn't be as bad.
~Marianne
Helpful - 0
Unless you can't take the hormones later for some reason.  Then you would be at risk for some very serious complications indeed, at an early age.

Get several medical opinions if you are considering this.  There are pros AND cons to such a permanent, irreversible decision.
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
This is a very personal decision to make.  You are wise to ask questions although ultimately the choice is yours.  Sometimes surgery is the only way to aliviate the problem.  I have known countless women who have had the surgery and they are doing well.  Although there are a few who do have problems, most do not and you will hear from them.  I am glad that you have found this site as there are many caring women here with much experience from which you can benefit.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
I had a partial hysterectomy when I was 25 ( I was done having children), and it was one of the best decisions I ever made.   I just had my last ovary out 4 weeks ago, and an now taking HRT.  This too, seem to have been a great decision.  I know it is such a hard decision to make, but no matter what you decide to do, we will be here for you.  Kasie
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.