Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

CA-125 results

Hello everyone.

First, I hope everyone had a wonderful Mother's Day and enjoyed the time with their families.

I have my moms results for the CA-125 and I wanted to run it by all of you.

BEFORE the surgery it was 525.  3 weeks AFTER the surgery it was 259.  Now one week after her THIRD treatment with taxol/carboplatin, its down to 26.

so...525 to 259 to 26.

I know this isnt an absolute, but I would think this is a very good indication especially since she still has 3 treatments to go.  This is a good indication that she is responding, right?

Anyone?
Thanks!
11 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Sorry I don't know what mom's CA125 was during treatment.

Your mom's numbers sound really good, it appears her cancer is responding well to treatment.  Be glad for this, and when she's done with treatment take advantage of her remission and do the things you've always wanted to do with her when she's recovered enough to feel up to them.  

Please remember that your mom's drs are probably NOT going to use the word "cure" for her cancer, no matter how badly you want to hear it.  This doesn't mean she isn't cured, but with ovarian cancer they do NOT like to make guarantees, especially with older patients. My mom's drs talk in terms of remission, or long-term remission.  Many women will go into remission and the cancer will never return, but drs just don't like to use the word "cure" with cancer.
Helpful - 0
My ca-125 immediatly responded like your Moms. The lowest it has been was 8. My friends Mom who is also in her 70s ca-125 has been holding at 4 since her first treatment well over a year now!!! Mine is now holding at 18. They probably will test her ca-125 now after every treatment, they use this as a tool to determine if more Chemo is needed.
Helpful - 0
Good!!!  Treatment is working!!! Such good news Alan for you and your family.
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
Sounds like your mom is really responding well to the chemo.  I am so glad for her (and you)!
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Thanks Nikki.  Im not sure what the "****" in your post meant. LOL

I do love my mom...I always knew I loved her, but it wasnt until now that I realized just how important she is to me.  She is an incredible woman and Im lucky that I grew up with and still have such a great mom.

So the 26 is good at this point?  Or do most woman have it lower halfway through treatment?  I know everyone is different, but Im just wondering.

Thanks, again!
Helpful - 0
What great news!!! Sounds like your Mom is **** great, I hope that she is feeling well after her treatments... I know I've probably said this before but "you are such a great son" it is wonderful to see how much you love your Mom. :)
Helpful - 0
I do not have any experience with elevated ca125's, but it sure sounds like good news to me.  Hopefully, things will continue to improve from here.  I'll continue to pray for all of you.  Kasie
Helpful - 0
Hi Suzsen, do you know what her CA-125 levels were halfway through treatments?  Im hoping my moms levels continue to drop and stay down permanently.

Thanks.
Helpful - 0
I would say your mom's results are excellent and a great sign that her cancer is responding well to her treatments!

My mom did not have a CA125 before her surgery, but after surgery and her final chemo treatment it was 8.  It's been 17 months and it's slowly risen back to 26.  Her onc says as long as it's below 35, doesn't double between visits, and her CT scans are clean, she's still in remission and doesn't need more treatments.
Helpful - 0
Briefly, my mom is 75 and they found an enlarged ovary on her annual exam and the ultrasound saw a mass.  The CA-125 was elevated so they did a TAH and also removed her omentum.  SHe had no symptoms at all.

Now she is halfway through treatments and Im hoping she will live for many more years.

Id like to hear from others about their CA-125's.  I know everyone is different but Im just curious.

Thanks again.
Helpful - 0
I'M NOT A MED. DR. BUT, IN MY OPINION...YES..THAT IS GREAT!!
WHAT IS YOUR MOM'S STORY...I'D LIKE TO KNOW...PLEASE EMAIL ME AT ***@**** TELLING ME ABOUT IT....I'M  KINDA GOING THROUGH THE SAME...EXCEPT I'M WAITING FOR MY SURGURY JUNE 16TH...THE DR. WILL BE OUT OF TOWN
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.