Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Finally home...Very long surgery

Hi all... I'm home. Still in lots of pain... they had to do alot more then they thought. I went in at 9am, sx by 10am, and didn't get to leave until after 4pm. Cyst was not a dermoid (darn it). It was an endometrial cyst and there was endo all over the outside of my uterus. (This is all secondhand...Dr. came and talked to my Mother. It apparently took me longer then normal to wake up).
So they removed the endometrial cyst, lasered the junk off my uterus, and cleaned the rest. The did a pathology, but I won't know the results till next week.
I have four scars, and they do hurt. They actually had to give me morphine because my side hurt so much in recovery. I barely have a voice because of the breathing tube, so I'm sucking tea for both the throat and the gas bubbles.
Any ideas for the pain while coughing?
And, quick question that some of you might be able to answer. I have pain from the catheter area (not up in, but as stuff comes out). Would Vagisil help since it has Lidocaine in it and it's designed for that area? I just want to ease the sting.
So, I'm on the (painful) RS side.... Thanks for everything, all you wonderful people!
~Marianne
9 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
They gave me percoset, 800mg motrin, and anti-nausea. I'm taking that with heat packs.
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
Welcome to the RS.  Now you need to take the advise of the ladies above and rest, rest, rest!!  Make sure to keep up with the pain meds the first 24 - 48 hrs.  I am glad you are home now.
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Glad you got through it all.....and the mice are now gone!  I will be in your shoes tomorrow!  Rest easy!
Helpful - 0
Hi Marianne, glad you are home and the surgery is over. Keep us posted on your recovery. We'll be thinking of you.

Linda J
Helpful - 0
Mylicon is also good for the gas, and any kind of hard candy or Sucrets might help your throat, too.
Helpful - 0
I was given mint herbal tea in the hospital for the four days that I was there. It is good for gas. I drank it and it helped (and I absolutely hate mint!)...take it slow, best wishes
Helpful - 0
I am so glad to see you on the RS, but I am sorry you are in so much pain.  I know what you mean about burning from the cathater.  I wish I would have know about this site last year when I had my first ovary removed.  Kasie
Helpful - 0
Marianne,
One thing you can do for the stinging is to pour lukewarm water over yourself while you urinate. This dilutes the urine as it comes out and eases the external sting.  You also need to drink, drink, drink water to dilute your urine.  You probably had a catheter in during surgery, and it irritated things.  If this doesn't get better, let your doctor know.  If the Vagisil has Lidocaine in it, you can use it externally over your urinary meatus.

For coughing, get a small pillow or folded blanket and use it to brace your tummy.  A large bag of crushed ice over your abdomen may also help.  In a pinch, a large bag of frozen peas or other small veggie will do!  Be sure you take your pain meds around the clock during the first 24-48 hours, even if you don't particularly feel you need them.  That way the pain won't get ahead of you.  Of course, don't exceed the recommended dosage.  

Hope you recover quickly!
Helpful - 0
132752 tn?1273342273
As was recommended above, keep a small pillow close by to splint against your stomach while coughing AND sneezing.  My surgeon left a package of gum on my nightstand in the hospital.  He recommended chewing at least 2 pieces each day...said that it stimulates digestive movement.  

Rest well...be patient with your healing...welcome to the RS!
peace,
Anne
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.