Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

enlarged ovary and slightly high WBC and NEUAT#'s

I have just been put on a high dose of birth control (6 piils a day X 3days, than 2 pills a day X 3 days, than one a day.  I am on day  3) for heavy uncontroled bleeding.  I am 45.  The doctor examined me and said I had and enlarged right ovary.  He did blood work and although all results are not in the WBC CNT normal is(4.4 - 11.0) my results were at 12.7, and the NEUT# normal is (2.0 - 6.9) and mine was at 9.9.  Both were marked high.  I have been scheduled for an ultrasound, but I can not get in for 3 1/2 weeks.  Should I be concerned with the counts I have and try to push harder for a sooner ultrasound?  I do have indigestion problems in my upper stomach, lower back pressure, and lower stomach tender at times when pushed.  My heavy bleeding has nearly stopped yet, I am still spotting.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
hi, i have also got a high white count but i have had it for years now and must have an underlying infection. mine is constantly about 12.5. i think these are high due to my cyst although no-one has said that. high white cells indicate an infection or some kind. i hope this helps. karen
Helpful - 0
In the subject is should say NEUT#'s that was a typo.
I also have read what you said and a little more:

The WBC count is used to suggest the presence of an infection or leukemia.
An elevated number of white blood cells is called leukocytosis. This can result from bacterial infections, inflammation, leukemia, trauma, or stress.

Neutrophil

Granular leukocyte (white blood cell). Neutrophils are phagocytes engulfing bacteria and cellular debris. An increase in the number of neutrophils occurs in acute infections, certain malignant neoplastic diseases, and some other disorders.

These are what I read.  I worry about my lower back, the indigestion I feel on my upper stomach just below my rib cage ( I have never had indigestion like this), also the fact that I have bleeding off and on for 7 weeks mostly on, if not full out bleeding than spotting.  Bleeding always after sex.  My partner no long wants to have intercourse until I am what he calls well.  So now that I am on the pill to stop the bleeding I can't even tell if it has stopped the after intercourse bleeding.  My lower stomach is slightly tender and had been especially when feeling gassy.  

Three weeks for ultra sound will surely put me in the looney bin.
Thanks

Helpful - 0
neutrophils, is that what is actually the raised part of the white cells. that is what is raised with mine too. if it is them you can safely say it is definately an infection causing the cells to be high. i was sent to a hemotologist last year for this reason and nothing was found.i have obviously got some sort of infection somewhere and up to yet don't know why or where.  the white cells are divided into a few catogories. i also had bleeding after sex and 18mths ago i had my a diatherm on my cervix and this has cured it. i bleed heavily with clots but not as bad now. try not to worry. keep us posted. kind regards, karen
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.