Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Menopausal - Free Fluid Found US, CT Scan

Hi,
I am 45 years old  & Post-menopausal (4 yrs).  Three months ago I had an Ultrasound for lower right side abdominal pain.  My GP wanted to rule out appendicitis.  On US Appendix was normal, moderate amount of free fluid, no cysts etc. seen, in right adnexa region.
Two weeks later I was sent for CT scan w/contrast.  Fluid filled cystic structure found in right adnexal region, not on ovary.  Sent to GYN who did CA125, result 27.  
Two months later MRI with contrast was done.  The only thing found was Trace amount of free fluid in right adnexal region, again not on ovary.  MRI states cystic structure seen on CT scan most likely the same free fluid. MRI - Nothing at all seen but the fluid.  The ovaries are normal with no cysts etc. I still have mild but persistent lower right pain.  GYN has now scheduled me for Laparoscopy in two weeks.  What are the possible reasons for free fluid in a woman who has been menopausal for 4 years?  Can it be a tubal problem?  Just looking for some ideas at to what it might be.  Will the fluid be examined?  If so, what can be found out from this?  Thank you in advance for your help.
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
An added note on the prolactin issue...prolactins are produced as part of a woman's normal hormonal, pregnancy cycle - BUT prolactins can also be produced as a result of inflammation and/or infection.  Should you have, or had, a cyst that ruptured and the contents of the cyst must be absorbed by the body, then your body could well be producing prolactins in response to this condition - producing prolactins that are not a part of the normal hormonal 'routine.'
Helpful - 0
Raised prolactin levels (above 500) can cause periods to stop, although they can cease with lower levels.  One quick method to ascertain whether or not you have a raised prolactin level is to sqeeze your nipples and see if any fluid (milk like) comes out of them.  Raised prolactin levels can stop periods.  I had this for five years in my twenties and although it dipped to levels to enable me to conceive, I believe it raised again in my late 30's.  This made me think I had gone through the menopause.  However I did get a blood test three years ago that puts this into question.

I suggest you ask what your prolactin levels are.  If they are in the hundreds, I'd ask questions about whether or not you are menopausal.

Well done to the doctors who tested your prolactin levels.
Helpful - 0
they did do a prolactin test...what can this mean?    BTW...my ultrasound was transvaginal, sorry I only noted ultrasound.  Being menopausal makes me a bit more concerned. Thanks for your quick response.
Helpful - 0
Do you have prolactin problems?
Helpful - 0
Did have other hormone levels checked 4 years ago clearly shows me as menopausal, Estrogen etc.  Can prolactin still matter?
Helpful - 0
Now this gets complicated.

What where your FSH/estrodiol levels?

You need to compare these with your prolactin levels.  I think you are from UK (like myself) and here anything above 500 is only of concern.  From my research on the internet levels above 50 can cause problems.  You need to find out what your prolactin levels are.

If your FSH was extremely high (well I would go into 50's and well beyond) and estrodiol very low then you are likely to be menopausal.

However, you need to contrast this against prolactin levels as high levels do reduce estrogen production.
Helpful - 0
Do you think that you had a cyst that ruptured?  That will cause excruating (SP) pain for a while, then lessen.  I wish I had more answers for you, but I do not know.  Can you get a vaginal ultrasound?  Keep us posted.  Kasie
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.