Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Went for ultasounds, they could not do the TV!!

Hi everyone and thank you for your replies yesterday, very grateful:) I had the normal ultrasound and asked the lady if I had a cyst, she said she could NOT tell me anything saying that the radioligist will have to read them first. She attempted the TVUS but had to stop cos it was way too painfull, I was nearly in tears. I do have a strong pain threshhold having had 4 children without pain relieft, but this was too much I nearly fell off the bed. So I am none the wiser and more confused, I am wandering now maybe I have an infection for PID. I will call the doctor when I get home from work tomorrow. Did anyone else have this problem.

11 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hang in there, sweetie.  sounds like you have been through the ringer.  

I just had my 2nd TVUS w/no problem.  Does your genital area hurt all the time?  Would a sitz bath help at all?  Are you taking any antibiotics?

Helpful - 0
Me again, Just updating you all with NOTHING:(( I am now assuming it can not be BAD news cos no one has been in touch with me and I remain positive. I have to say I am in terrible pain though mainly with my left hip, although cyst is supposed to be in the right side.
Second day in my new job and I felt like crying today with the pain but ofcourse I did not tell anyone.
I hope I hear something tomorrow I need to get rid of this pain.

Hugs and best wishes to everyone{{{}}}
Helpful - 0
Thanks for your reply wubbie:)
I called the nurse today and she said the results were not yet back. I explained to her about not being able to have TVUS, she said not too worry too much as the other ultrasound maybe enough.
Had a great first day at work, although the pain in my hip was there for most of it. I am falling apart hahaha
I will let you know when I get my results which will godwilling be tomorrow now.
Hugs(())
Helpful - 0
It might be the tech, because I had a 4cm endometrial cyst just removed. I had 4 TVUS's in a four month period, with little to no pain (some pressure, but nothing else)
No kids, no sex (ever), and no problems with the TVUS. So I'm thinking mainly the tech was a little too aggressive with that wand.
Poor thing.... My gyn told me that if it hurt after I could use something like Vagisil, since it has lidocaine in it (even thought it's for yeast infections. She said it wouldn't hurt to use a little on painful areas)
Helpful - 0
Hubby could call or you could call; probably the dr will have to call you back.  My drs tend to call me at the end of the day when they're done seeing patients, or sometimes you can speak to the dr's nurse and they can be helpful.  When I was awaiting test results I gave the dr office my cell phone number and kept it with me (in my pocket, on silent/vibrate mode) at all times.

Good luck with the new job!
Helpful - 0
Thank you all for your replies.I have to say I don't think the tech got one pic from the TVUS, as soon as the probe touched me it was painful!!! It actually took my breath away and she did ask should she stop. I asked her to try again cos I wanted it out of the way but she had to stop cos it was it was just too painful. It is still aching now. Suszen it does also hurt when I have intercourse, hopefully if there is a cyst then it will shrink. There is no way I can do that without being out of it and I don't want that either:(
I have had a TVUS years ago when I was having a miscarraige and it did not hurt at all. I supposed like you all the waiting and not knowing is getting me down and I did try my best to let her do the test.
Thanks again. I work from 8.30 to 3.30, will the doctor take a call from me, or will I have to wait for her to call me.I don't know how it works here.Can hubby call for me?
Its my first day at my new job and the worrying has took the excitement away.
Goodlucks and hugs to all{{}}}
Helpful - 0
Thanks suzsen, I will call and leave my cell number with the receptionist. Maybe if I am lucky I will get some info. I will have to go in and act all healthy tomorrow hahaha look bad would'nt it on my first day!!! Thanks for the best wishes {{{}}}
Helpful - 0
I have had TVUS in the past with NO pain, and no cysts were found.

This year I developed a 5 cm cyst.  The first TVUS I had was done by a female technician and it only hurt a little bit. A week later I had one done by a male radiologist and nearly jumped off the table!  It STILL hurt the next day!  I don't know how much was him not being gentle, and how much was because there was a big cyst that was right there.

I had a 3rd TVUS 3 weeks later, again done by a female technician.  It didn't hurt at all -- but the cyst had also shrunk to 1 cm.  

So whether the pain was from the person doing the test or the fact that there was a big cyst there... I don't know.  I know that my first symptom that I might have a cyst was pain during intercourse, and after the cyst disappeared the pain during sex disappeared as well.

Not to be too personal, but if you're not having pain during intercourse and the TVUS hurt, maybe it's the technician.
Helpful - 0
I have to agree with Mickeyvicki, I too wonder if it is the tech doing the tvus.  I have only had one hurt, and it was much like yours only the tech kept on going.  It hurt so bad that I was sobbing on the table.  I wonder if it has to do where the cyst is on the ovary?  I hope you get good results tomorrow.  Keep us posted.  Kasie
Helpful - 0
I cannot help but wonder if the technician is to blame for the pain.  I state this because I've had three tvu's in less than two years now.  The first was painless, with only slight discomfort when the tech was trying to get very, very good images of the mass on my left ovary.  (She was pressing hard in that direction.)  The second tvu was extremely painful.  It was all I could do to sit through it.  The last tvu was painless, with no discomfort at all.  All three ultrasounds were performed by a different person, on identical equipment.  The person performing the ultrasound was the only difference.
Helpful - 0
The only TU U/S I had trouble with was the first one for the problem I have now.  I have only one child but had no problem with other TV'S I had before.  I found it painful enough that I thought I was going to be sick to my stomach.  I clenched my teeth because I knew it had to be done.  The ones I have had since then have been ok.  I wonder if the tech was too enthusiastic in getting good pictures.  Also, my cyst kept growing each time so it may have been easier to  visualize.  Maybe the doc could give you something to relax the muscles?  I don't know if that would help in something like this.  Good Luck
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.