Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Does an ovarian cyst mean ovarian cancer?

I foun out yesterday that I have several ovarian cysts.  While looking for info online everything seemed to lead to some type of ovarian cancer site.  Does having a cyst mean that I will develop cancer, that I already have cancer, what exactly does is mean and what should I do?
9 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I am having some of the very same symptoms.  I have had an ovarian cyst in the past that was discovered by a routine US during my second pregnancy.  The Doctor did not feel comfortable leaving it there unitl after I had my son b/c it was rather large in size and she was afraid it may rupture, so she surgically removed it right when I started my second trimester.  I was so thankful to her for finding the cyst and taking it out.  I thought I was going crazy for a while, or that I was a big whimp b/c I was in so much discomfort before I was diagnosed with it.  I complained all the time about back aches.  I knew in my heart that something was wrong, but after the 2 ER visits turned up with nothing I felt like I should just stop whining and keep my mouth shut.  Turns out I wasnt crazy.  Now I am having all of the same symptoms again (except Im not pregnant this time).  It started by being super tired all the time.  I gained about 40lbs in a few short months, and now my lower abdomen and back ache constantly.  I am being treated for edema in my legs and high blood sugar.  I just know its another cyst and I feel like the Doctors are not going to take me seriously.  My sister is an Ovarian Cancer survivor along with many other family members, so hopefully b/c of my strong family medical history they will consider at least checking things out for me.  I also have 2 young boys and I am a single mom.  Im scared more for them if I do have something really wrong.  I wish you all of the best, I will keep you in my prayers, and please keep me in yours.
Helpful - 0
I'm so glad you're getting the help you need.  I just read your post and my heart goes out to you.  Do what it takes and try not to be afraid.  Listen to your body and get the facts.

bless you,

Carolyn
Helpful - 0
My very elderly uncle--who is also about 250 pounds overweight and gets little to no exercise--has had congestive heart failure for about 15 years.  He seems to live a normal life and gets along fine.  He moves very slow, but then he is 80 and very very overweight. He just basically doesn't push himself and takes a LOT of breaks.  

So even though it's not something you want to have, someone young like you should be okay. You will just have to probably slow your lifestye down somewhat.

Take care--and sleep well.

Helpful - 0
The vast majority of cysts are benign.  Many women never even know they have cysts, others have cysts that cause pain.  Most cysts will go away on their own, some benign cysts (like dermoids) don't resolve and they end up being removed surgically.  You should have them checked periodically, though, because ovarian cancer can initially look like a cyst, so you want to make sure they're being watched to see that they are as innocent as they look. (The average woman only has a 1.8% lifetime risk of getting ovarian cancer).

You may want to ask your dr about polycystic ovary syndrome if you said you have "several" cysts.  It's NOT a cancerous syndrome but it has other side effects, and there are treatments for it.
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
Welcome!  Just try to remember that 99% of ovarian cysts are benign, however this does not mean that you can ignore your symptoms.  I am glad that you are getting medical attention.  Keep us posted.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
WOW!!!  Thank you all for your kind words, information, and support.  I am scared to death.  I didn't have the US, or the TVUS because of anything related to my uterus, I had it done because I am suffering from severe edema.  I have bloated up by 35 pounds in the last three weeks.  The doctor has me on my second type of diuretic, but so far there is no relief.  The ultra sound was to determine if there was something possibly wrong with my liver, kidney...  I am still waiting on the official findings.  According to the tech that did the US yesterday the cyst was the only thing she could find.  So now I'm sitting here scared about the cyst, what may or may not be.  The next step if the bloodwork and US don't produce something to pin the edema on is to see a cariologist.  From the research that I have done my symtoms are in line with conjestive heart failure, I am so scared. 2/3 of the people diagnosed are dead within five years.  I have two boys, and my husband broke his neck four and a half years ago, he was fortunate and is still able to walk but is permantly disabled.  I am a full time student ready to apply to the nursing program in the fall.  I just feel like my whole world is coming unwound, I am so frightened.  I went last night to buy some shorts that fit, they fit perfect, and now today they are already feeling tight.  I may blow up.  I hate to sound like a wussy girl I just don't have anyone else to talk to.  Anyway, thank you all again.  I hope I can be of help in return.
Helpful - 0
Actually, you produce cysts each month and they generally rupture on their own without you even knowing it. Its when they linger and continue to grow that they become noticeable. Pathology thru bx or removal is the only 100% way to know if it is cancer but most often they are not cancerous.  Good luck and I have been where you are now.
Helpful - 0
i just had an ultrasound this morning...waiting for the results. I do believe you have to have a biopsy done to find out if its cancerous or not. Just because you have a cyst, im pretty sure it doesnt mean you have cancer...lots of women have cysts. I have to agree with lawyermom...the women in this forum are awesome!!
Helpful - 0
The first time I found out I had cysts, I frieked out thinking I was going to die. My ovaries are enlarged and polycystic.  Take it slow.  With me, they have been treating me with bcp and this week I find out whether they helped.  If they are still there, surgery might be required.  You can't really know whether it is cancer without biopsy of teh cyst (I think)...but wait and see what happens! And talk it out here...these ladies are amazing.  ((hugs))
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.