Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Do Complex Cysts Resolve? Can They Return?

Hi Ladies,

In one week I will have my second TV ultrasound to monitor a 3 cm complex cyst. I have no other symptoms besides some light spotting that I really have to look closely to see. My CA-125 was 15, and the "other" markers(?) they checked were "negative". But my mother had breast cancer.

If this cyst has not resolved, of course I want surgery, but since I have had numerous abdominal surguries in the past resulting in massive adhesions, I am a very risky cut. I almost bled out with my partial hysterectomy 4 years ago from all the adhesions and endometriosis. I've had my bowel resected twice for the same issues. My OB describes me as "matted" inside. Oh joy!

Anyway, we will see what has happened in a week from now. I was just wondering if cysts that resolve can come back. If that is possible, will I need to check on this thing for the rest of my life or should I go ahead and remove the ovary now.

Thanks for your attention. You all seem like such wonderfully caring people!
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Cysts can totally come back. In fact, the vast majority are formed from normal cycle functional cysts that 'something' goes wrong with (ie. dermoids close off and start growing teeth and hair, hemmhoragic cysts close off and bleed into themselves, endometrial cysts try to grow uterine tissue elsewhere from the uterus).
Apparently things like dermoids are fairly common, especially in younger women (under 35, I was told by my gyn).
I'm guessing you're doing the "watch-and-wait" game to see if it shrinks or doesn't go away. That's normal.... Part of the normal exam/treatment to see what it's going to do.
Keep in touch, keep talking, keep asking questions...
~Marianne
Helpful - 0
Hi Marianne,

I'm 45--don't know if I'm still ovulating or not--we were just about to tackle that question when this lovely little cyst business came up.

Thanks for your response.
Helpful - 0
Wanted to add: We *do* know that I am full of endometria, that's for sure! That's what my doc thinks the cyst is about. We shall see.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.