Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Terminal ovarian cancer?

My 78 year old mother had surgery for Stage 3C ovarian cancer 3 weeks ago. She developed pneumonia which is finally getting better. She has severe abdominal ascites/fluid buildup (about 2L) drained every few days - has happened 3 times already. Her feet are also swollen. I am unable to get any real answers from the doctor about what, realistically, we are looking at -- days? weeks? months? years? I don't intend to hold anyone to this - I realize that it is an inexact science - but as we make decisions about whether to bring her home or have her in rehab for a while, this becomes important - if we're talking weeks, I'd rather have her be comfortable at home, eating the ethnic food that she craves, with her grandkids and the dog she loves. If we're talking months, perhaps a week or two in rehab would be helpful and enable her to go through chemo later on (no schedule about when she will be ready for chemo). She lives with my family - I wish that someone would talk honestly to me about this based on their experience of other patients at this stage and the symptoms. I don't intend to tell her or to hold the doctor responsible if she lives a shorter or longer time. I really, really want to hear from someone who can tell me what I'm looking at here.

Thanks a lot.
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I'm so sorry that your mom has to go through this (and you), its so unfair of the doctors to leave you hanging.  I would set up a meeting with the doctor(s) and demand to know what is going on & what the plan of treatment is.  You have a right as her caregiver to know everything that is going on & if they refuse this than I would find another doctor(s) that is willing to work with you. This is your mom and no one loves her like you do. I pray that all goes well for you & your mom.
Helpful - 0
As i am sure everyone here will verify this disease is like riding a huge rollercoaster, on minute youre up the next you are down.  I thought my mum didnt have long a few months ago and i posted the same question.  she then picked up and we were fine for a month or so and then back down with another problem and i'm sure it will be like this for a good while.  I cant stand all this uncertainty not knowing how long there is, or is this it this time,or being able to plan but i suppose i could step out my door and be hit by a bus tomorrow so the same goes, mums doc said if you dont wanna know dont ask. All we can do is our best and be there and pray, you never know you might still be doing that and still asking "how long"  in another 2/3 years. Good luck.
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
You and your mom are in my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
I'm so sorry to hear what your mom and your family are going thru.  My mom was 67 when diagnosed with Stage 3, but she didn't have any complications recovering from surgery.  She started chemo about 6 weeks - 2 months after surgery.  Chemo was rough but she got through it.  Chemo takes a lot out of even a relatively "healthy" patient, which is probably why the doctors aren't talking about it yet.  

The only advice I have would be if she does come home, buy her a large, soft reclining chair.  My aunt passed away from ovarian cancer about 10 years ago, the last few weeks she was home with hospice and almost never left that comfy chair.  Not that I'm assuming your mom is terminal, the chair worked well after my aunt's surgery also.
Helpful - 0
I know from past family experience one thing.  Request a family conference with the doc's, social worker for hospice, etc.  IT is one way to get some answers and plans set up for the future,whatever it may.  It's worth a try.  Good luck.
Helpful - 0
I don't have  a lot of experience with this particular disease, however I have lots of experience with death and dying.  If the doctors believe that she has less than six months then they should be discussing hospice care.  You may want to ask if you were to bring her home, when would they anticipate hopice would begin for her.  Good luck, big hug, lots of prayers.  
Jme
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.