Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Causes of Adhesions

If you have never had surgery before, what could cause adhesions on the stomach?  This was noticed during my laparotomy but I have never born a child, been pregnant nor had prior surgery.
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I had/have a haemoragic cyst that also ruptured when it was misdiagnosed as appendecitis. I had an appendectomy and my report says that adhesions were removed from the pelvic sidewall. I had never had stomach surgery b4 either so I assume it was contents of the cyst.
Helpful - 0
greenThumbs~
I never had any kind of invasive anything before my lap, and they said I had adhesions in other areas. They didn't remove them since they weren't causing any problems. But they asked me if I'd ever had any surgeries, etc that those adhesions could have stemmed from. But, they also told me that sometimes adhesions can form from trauma to the area the adhesion is in. I ride, and when I do fall, it's usually pretty hard. And since they found them in unrelated areas like my side, around my appendix, etc, I figured it was from things like that.
~Marianne
Helpful - 0
Hi Green,
  Yes, adhesions can be caused by cyst leakage/rupture, that is a possibility. It might have happened with me because there were no adhesions during surgery, as I said in my most recent posts the doctor told me that the gel (mucous from mucinous cystadenoma) could proliferate to the other areas (mostly peritoneum...the thin sac that surrounds the organs)...So, I don't know if that's what is going on with you or not... But it is possible.  Also, I don't have endometriosis, but that too clings to everything and causes adhesions. Feel better soon! I want to share gardening stories!
(((Raynbow
Helpful - 0
Anything the disturbs the natural order in the abdomin can cause adhesions ...even the powder in your sugeons gloves can do it ...
Surgery , Endo , fibroids , cysts any type of ivasion causes the healing process to work on overtime and hence over work creates over scarring ...for some much more then others ...I personally am a scarring type internally ..having problems in many areas of the body from scarring...
Hope this helps a bit ...But when you are totally healed there are things you can do to reduce adhesions and keep them from becoming more of an issue ...Look down the main page to a question called Adhesion complication  from me ...was given some very useful info there on adhesions ...
Good  luck ..Lex
Helpful - 0
Endometriosis can cause adhesions.  Also if you ever had a ruptured cyst, the fluid is very irritating to other abdominal organs and can cause scarring/adhesions.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.