Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Ovarian Cyst - My experiences

Hi,
I am 3 weeks past surgery to remove an ovarian cyst.
I used this forum before my surgery to get info abt cysts, bowel prep, CA 125, surgery etc. Thanks to everyone. I want to post my info in case it helps others.
In 1998 I had a cyst removed from my right ovary. I'd already had surgeries for endo and c section for my daughters birth. They thought the cyst might be malignant and I went in with the chance that I would have a full removal if it proved so.
I kept half the ovary and went on to have twin boys. The cyst later proved to be a proliferating/low malignant potential mucinous cystadenoma. I was advised to watch it.
Recently pelvic pain led me to another U/S showing a cyst on the other, left ovary. It looked benign but with past history a laparotomy was done.
My CA 125 was 59 - a bit scary.
The doc (onc/gyn) initially said it best to take everything, I'm 41 and not planning more babies. I was very anti this and wanted more conservative surgery and to preserve ovary and uterus.
Surgery took 2 hours because of scar tissue from previous surgeries (2 c-sections, laparatomy). They removed the cyst and the ovary as it was all entangled. I still have 1/2 right ovary and it seems to be working OK.
My Good News is that this cyst was a benign serous cystadenoma though it had "surface involvement" so there is a chance of recurrence :-(
Best luck to all
Susie
p.s. Bowel prep tastes dreadful, really hard to swallow. The diarrhea was manageable every 1/2 hour had to visit the toilet over about 4-5 hours. I had to go the next morning 2X before surgery too.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I don't think everyone has to do it :-) It clears your bowels out before surgery.
Hope you get to miss it.
Regards
Susie
Helpful - 0
thanks for sharing about your story. i hope everything works out healthy for you.

what is "bowel prep?"  from your description, i'm scared to find out -- i have a laparotomy in two weeks...
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.