Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Has anyone taken Lupron for Endo?

Well, I thought I had made a decision about taking the Lupron to treat my endo, but I did a general search on it, and found a lot of bad press about it. Things like side effect symptoms never going away after stopping the drug, and and how oral contraceptives seem to be as effective, and such. There's even a clinical trial recruiting right now testing Lupron vs. oral BC, and the goal is to prove that the oral BC is just as good as the Lupron without the side effects.
Has anyone taken Lupron specifically for endometriosis? I know they give it just before a TAH to minimize blood loss, but what about for just endo treatment?
Did you have side effects and what were they? How bad were they? What kind of problems were you warned about?
I supposed to have a call from someone at the company that makes Lupron. Apparently they get a medical history from patients before they'll send the drug.
This stuff is starting to scare me a little... Everything I've read talks about life changes from this stuff, and my life has been changed enough from this endo!
Can I get advice?
~Marianne
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
196469 tn?1365387975
I have had so many surgeries due to Endo..............  I have had several laparoscopies and 2 laparotomies.  Between my 2nd and 3rd laparoscopies, I had 6 months of Lupron injections.  I HATED IT!!!  For me it was aweful!  I felt so much rage during that time.  I could feel the anger bubbling up and causing me to have horrible crying fits.  I was so emotional ALL the time.  I kept telling myself it was only 6 months and then my troubles would be over................WRONG!  I found out after 8mos from starting the Lupron, I needed yet another surgery for Endo, I was crushed!  I have/had Endo on the outside of my uterus and on my bowles, intestines, ovaries etc.  I only found relief after having everything removed.  I was Blessed with twins and decided I couldn't take the pain any longer.  For ME - Lupron was the wrong choice.  It is such a hard decision and I can understand what you are going thru.............  I do know poeple that have had great success with it.
I hope you get some answers soon and feel better!

Heidi
Helpful - 0
I have stage 4 endometriosis with bilateral complex masses. The endo is attached to my bowel and possibly my bladder. I have had 2 laparoscopies done and should find out today when i go in fo a laparotomy. I am currently on Lupron for the endo. I have had 2 shots of 7.5 mgs. i go in for my third and final one today. i have had lots of success with Lupron. My pain literally went away. For me, that in itself was worth any risks. I was tired of going to Emerg for a morphine shot for the pain. I am eagerly awaiting surgery so i can try to conceive or go through IVF.
All the best to you!
Helpful - 0
I forgot to add that I have family history of thyroid and pitituary problems (and I'm pre-diabetic... I have markers and history with no active problems..yet), and am prone to depression and anxiety. The hot flashes wouldn't bother me much (I'm usually cold), but the mood swings and the fact that it messes with the pitituary that controls the estrogen levels, and side effects are that it messes with everything controlled by those glands, not just the estrogen.
I have unfortunately read alot of study literature that says that almost 50% of women on Lupron have serious side effects that don't go away after the course of treatment.
My endo wasn't that severe, and Lupron seems to be mainly used in women who have severe endo. Mine was pretty mild, from what I was told.
So I'm thinking the Depo-Provera shot..... Something to kick the system and shock it into no cycles, but without everything else too.
Still collecting info, and would still love any stories about the drug and what it did!
~Marianne
Helpful - 0
Hi Wubbie--

This a really tough decision. You have to do your research, line up the pro's and con's, get sound medical advice from at least two profressional, and also inquire from others who have had the experience --just what you are doing now.

I opted out of Lupron when it was recommended by my OB-GYN after I had my PAH 5 years ago. I had (controlled) high blood pressure, and PVCs, and didn't want to risk CV problems. I also didn't know if I was up to the emotional side-effects as I tend to be a little anxious at times. I did a lot of research and decided the risks outwieghed the benefits. I had a lot of endo and my surgery was very complicated. I needed a bowel resection due to endo and later needed another when it was discovered during a hernia repair one year after the surgery.

Since then, I've had no complications with endo until now--when I am being analyzed for this complex cyst that may or may not be endometrial. If this cyst needs to come out (just had my second ultrasound today) not matter what it is, the endo is going to make surgery very difficult and even dangerous.

So, who knows if I did the "right" thing? But even now, I'm still OK with my decision. At some point you have to make a decision and just cross your fingers.

Good luck!

Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.