Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

17 cm complex cyst with pockets of free fluid

Hello. I am new to the board and am actually asking this question concerning my mom. She had a routine yearly pelvic last week and complained of bloating and large stomach. U/S revealed an 17 cm mass in her pelvic region. They are not exactly sure if it is ovarain or not. and she was sent to a gyn/onc. She visited the gyn/onc today and he is very suspicious. They are not exactly sure if it is ovarain or not.The mass is complex 17 cm and there were pockets of free fluid. My mom is 51 years old and was started on HRT last year. Her gyn swears the mass was not there 8 months ago, but I guess who really knows(right). Anyway there was a cancellation and she will be having surgery on Monday. All bloodwork was taken today and will not be back for awhile. I quess what I am asking is has anyone had anything like this come back anything BUT cancer. My mom is otherwise is great shape. She exercises regularly and very health conscious. There is no family history. Needless to say I am scared to death for her. Any comments will be appreciated. She did have a chest x-ray today which was okay as well as her mammogram.
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
117289 tn?1391712825
Just to let you know that you and your mom are in my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Thank-you for the fast response. I will keep praying
Helpful - 0
I should have added, since the doctors are not certain the mass is ovarian, that a woman in my community has had not just one, but two, large tumors removed from her abdomen.  Both were benign.  At the moment, I cannot recall the name  of the tumor type but I know that prior to her first surgery, her family expected her to receive a dx of cancer.
Helpful - 0
If the mass was indeed not there eight months ago, then it is very fast growing.  When I was going through my pre-op jitters in 2004, a retired surgical nurse told me that the faster growing masses have less of a tendency to be malignant.  However, another woman posting on this site was told the opposite - that fast growing indicates cancer!  

There is just no way to know until surgery. That the mass is complex does raise the chance of malignancy.  That your mother is menopausal does as well.   Same for the free fluid. But, there are women on this site, including myself, who had masses that had all the hallmarks of cancer, and still these masses were found to be benign.  

I will keep you and your mother in my prayers.
Helpful - 0

I also had a very fast growing ovarian tumor, was told it was probably cancer, and finally found out it was a benign mucinous cystadenoma. I'm also post-menopausal.
Keep the faith, and be positive. No matter what happens, your mom will be in good hands, and will need your loving support.
Let us know what happens.
Helpful - 0
Thank-you once again. I will let you know as soon as I find out something. Her surgery is scheduled for This Monday at 9:15. God Bless you all !!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.