Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

how long should spotting/period after surgery be considered normal?

nwk
This is almost 2 weeks post operation for which they removed a bit of my ovary with Cyst and endo. I had vaginal bleeding after surgery, then on and off spotting for 2 more days. On the third day I seem to have my period which is about a bit over a week earlier than usual. oh, I should also mention that I also had urinary catheter after surgery to help me urinate which I removed after two days. I had pain after I removed the catheter but it is getting better now. The period lasted about 4 days. Now I get dark residual spotting, with occasional light red color blood when I go urinate. When is this spotting going to stop???
Is this normal or suspecious as something more serious? Should I contact my doctor? I am a bit stressed out about it..
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
This may be too late for you to see, but I had quite prolonged bleeding after my laparoscopy. I had surgery on the 9th, had spotting until my period started on the 20th, and then it stopped when my period ended about a week later.
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
I also agree, give your dr. a call just to give him a heads up on your status.  Better to be safe, ya know??  Keep us posted.
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
I had surgery on the 17th, and have had light spotting/brownish discharge since then. I'm still taking oral BC, but now that I think of it, I didn't the two or three days after surgery. I know that with me, if I missed even one day, I would start spotting again.
When you had your surgery, did they put the little machine in your uterus to move it around if they needed to? If they did, they also put a clamp on your cervix, and my gyn told me that it could take 2-3 weeks after surgery for the cervix to heal, and that some of the bleeding/spotting, etc could be from that.
~Marianne
Helpful - 0
nwk
I called my doctor last night and he doesn't think it should be anything serious. He told me that he will take a look at it when I see him on next Thursday... I hope he is right.
Helpful - 0
That sounds about what happened to me.  I had my laparotomy on May 15th and about the 18th I started my period which was about a week early and it lasted til about the 21st/22nd.  I continued to wear a pad for a few more days but was in the clear by the 23rd.  Give your doctor a call to be on the safe side.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.