Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Mom is scheduled for surgery!

Well, my mom's hysterectomy is scheduled for June 15! The good news is, her uterine biopsy came back negative! Woo Hoo! Of course, they won't know about OvCa until surgery, but her CA125 was at 100, so the doctor feels that if something is brewing there, it shouldn't be too advanced. They will send her ovaries down for testing while the surgeon is removing the rest of her "parts" and the results will be back within 20 minutes, so if they are malignant, they'll still have time to remove lymph glands and anything else they think is prudent. I will be going out to her house the day before surgery (I live 5 hours away) to help her through the bowel prep and day of nothing but clear liquids. (She's already complaining about that!) I plan to stay throughout the next week to help her out as well, and after that, my sister and brother, who both live close by, can check on her daily.

My question is, what kinds of things will she be able to eat when she comes home? I think her surgeon told her she'd be on clear liquids for two days post op, but she'll still be in the hospital for that. Since she's 80 (although in excellent health other than this "problem" she's having), I want to make sure that I'm making her foods that will really help her body heal without empty junk calories. I know she'll need extra calories to recover, but I want them to be good. I just don't know how much whole grain and veggies her system can take.  I'm guessing she'll have to start out with several small meals instead of her usual "three squares" a day. Any suggestions on what tastes good after surgery?
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
117289 tn?1391712825
Welcome!  You are doing the best thing!  Just being there for your mom means so much.  As for eating, she may not feel up to eat after surgery, but she needs to, since she will be taking pain meds.  Ensure is easy to drink and contains all the nutrients she needs.  Have a few cans of this on hand in case she doesn't have much of an appetite.  You and your mom are in my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
107366 tn?1305680375
COMMUNITY LEADER
Egg whites.  They are great because they are full of protein that will help her heal, plus one can eat several of them without feeling overly full.  A couple of whole eggs every day wouldn't be too bad, but you don't want to over-do it on the egg yolks.  She'll also need plenty of liquids that will help keep her "system" moving.    

Best of luck to your mom as she goes through surgery, and to you, too, as you take care of her.  Thoughts and prayers going out to you both!

Gail :)
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.