Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Update on the Lupron decision

Well, I'm pretty sure I've made the decision not to do the Lupron yet. I'm pretty concerned about the side effects that people have reported, but are not in the literature handed out to potential patients. Plus, if I do the Lupron and it's not effective for me, then there's really no where left to go to. It's the highest you can go with medication. The only other option would be a full hyster, and I don't think I'm ready to go the full route yet. Maybe in 10 years or so if it continues to recur.
I think I'm going to go with the Depo-Provera shot. A little higher dosage to knock the body into not cycling, since the lower dosage hormones don't really work on me.
Anyone been on the Depo-Provera shot that can give me advice on it? I have the literature they hand out, but it really doesn't tell you a lot.
Thanks all!
~Marianne
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thanks Kasie...
What did you try? Did it work for you, or are you like me and still searching for the right product?
~Marianne
Helpful - 0
I was also faced with a decision about taking the Lupron shots.  Like you I also decided against it because of all of the side affects I found on the net.  I have never taken the Depo shots, but a friend of mine has and she really likes it.  Hopefully it will do the trick for you.  Good luck and keep us posted.  You will continue to be in my prayers.  Kasie
Helpful - 0
108861 tn?1227246048
Hi Marianne,
     My eighteen-year old daughter went on the depro shot last year for heavy bleeding.  I researched it quite a bit then and did not find the horrendous side effect issues I found on Lupron while doing the same research.  One thing about the Depro that probably does not get covered enough is that it is not recommended for more than three years of use.  My daughter was amazed since she had friends who had been on it over four years (you can imagine my internal question, why would an 18year-old have needed BC at age 14? is my age showing?  guess so!)  Anyway my daughter just went off the depro a month ago to see if she is beyond the heavy cycles now but I did note that she gained weight, which is not normal for her.  That is a minor side effect and understandable given the hormones are doing a bit of a boogie.  I hope it works for you.  Have a great weekend!  Mary V.
Helpful - 0
I can handle weight gain if I have to. It's better than pitituary reactions and migranes!
They told me that they would use the Depo up to two years, and you could use it longer, but the risks of bone density loss were greater, and you had to get a bone density scan every year after the initial two.
Helpful - 0
Hi Marianne,
    I ended up opting for surgery.  I had a partial hyster when I was 25 due to very heavy bleeding and severe cramping.  When I was 30 I lost my first ovary, and then 7 weeks ago I had my last ovary removed (I am 31).  It was so scary for me to make this decision, but my husband and I agreed that going into surgical menopause would be better than having surgery all of the time to get rid of cysts.  I am so glad that I made that decision because when they got in to remove my 9cm cyst my ovary was attached to my bladder and bowels (so was my left ovary).  My doctor was going to try to save the ovary, but since it was attached it had to go.  I have not had very bad menopausal symptoms (hot flashes can get hairy at times:() but other than that things have gone pretty well.  I have been on hormones since 1 week post-op.  No matter which decision you make I am sure it will be the right one for you.  Take care and know that we are here for you.  Love, Kasie
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.