A
A
Close

Surgery ???

Hi Ladies,   I have a few questions I
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
139126 tn?1255036991
I had laparascopic surgery.  You'll definately be very disoriented when you wake up.  You'll be released when you are coherent and can drink fluids.  I had hardly any pain; definately take the pain meds for 24 hours.   I needed only Motrin after that.  The worst for me were the gas pains and no medicine was able to get rid of them.  Walk as much as you are able.  You also need to pass the gas when you feel like it so don't put yourself in a position where you don't feel comfortable doing that.  Get as much rest as you can.  Even though the lap. surgery leaves minimal scarring and pain your body really does need time to heal.   I would have a burst of energy and then need to sleep for a few hours.   I'm 2 weeks post-op and just now starting to get my stamina back.  My Dr. tells me it's usually 3-4 weeks before you feel totally normal again.  Good luck!
Helpful - 0
If you have the laporoscopy, you'll be home the same day.  I had mine scheduled for 7:30 a.m. and I was on my home by noon.  You will probably be a little tired the rest of the day.  

Someone told me to take the painkillers the first 24 hours like clockwork and I didn't feel any pain.  

I also laid/sat in a recliner so when I had to get up, I was able to real easily.
Helpful - 0
I'm having a laporotomy in a couple of weeks.  They have told me I will be in the hospital 5-6 days.  I will be on a self administered pain pump.  They have a max set for how much you can have every 4 hours.  I have problems that keep from having an epidural for pain control.  From what I have heard, they work more effectively for pain.  Hope this helps a bit and good luck.
Helpful - 0
Expect a sore throat from the breathing tube and expect to be very disoriented when you wake up.
~Marianne
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.