Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

NEW DOCTOR UPDATE AS OF JUNE 2

WELL, SAW GYN/ONC AND SOMETHING INTERESTING CAME UP THAT NO OTHER DOCTOR HAD SHARED.  WHAT IS IT ABOUT OUR RECORDS THAT WE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO READ?  ANYWHO...SEEMS ON 16TH AT FIRST ULTRASOUND THE "THING" WAS 12CM. NO ONE TOLD ME THAT!!! THEN ON THE 26TH THE "THING" IS 8 CM.  SO I ASKED FOR ANOTHER  VAGINAL ULTRASOUND WHICH THEY SCHEDULED FOR THIS COMING MONDAY ON JUNE 5TH. THEN BACK TO DOC ON 13TH. SEEMS TO THINK LAPOROTOMY IS WAY TO GO EVEN THOUGH HE FELT IT AND IT FELT LIKE A WATER FILLED BALLOON WAS THE DESCRIPTION.  I FEEL UNEASY ABOUT SURGERY AT THIS POINT BUT DO NOT WANT TO ERR ON THE SIDE OF WHAT IF IT IS???
SO THERE YOU GO.  AT THIS POINT I AM PRAYING THINK SMALLER.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
The laprotomy is a bigger surgery, and does require a hospital stay. But the advantage is that the doc can see everything in there, and correct any problems like endo, adhesions, or fibriods. I was about 5 min away from going from laproscopic to laparotomy while in surgery, but she was able to do what she wanted by making another small incision on the other side and getting in that way. My gyn actually called my mother (who was in the waiting room) from the surgery suite to tell her that she may have to do a laprotomy and I might be in surgery longer. Luckily that didn't happen, and she called Mom again to tell her what she was able to do and that I'd be out of sx in a few minutes. As it is, I'll probably require another surgery in a few years to remove more endo, and likely it will end up being a laprotomy due to the previous surgery and findings.
So, although you will be sorer longer, and in the hospital a few days, it may solve everything all at once. Plus, if you're not self-employed, then you can go on short-term disability (same as with pregnancy), and get 80% of your paycheck for the 6 weeks you're out of work. That was a big plus for me to find that out when the gyn told me that there was a 50-50 chance that I'd need the bigger sx. That made it easier to bear, and relieved alot of worries about how I was going to pay bills and live after having this.
*fingers crossed for you*
Keep in touch, and remember that we're all here for you if you need us!
~Marianne
Helpful - 0
I am hoping for smaller.  If not then out it goes.  But he is talking laporotomy.  That is just so major.  It is not like a laproscopy. Anyone have a laporotomy?  He said two days in hospital is that right?
Helpful - 0
Getting smaller is a good thing!  Makes the surgery easier, plus I don't think cancerous cysts usually shrink.  If it continues to shrink on the next ultrasound maybe you could wait on surgery, but 8cm is still pretty big.  I wouldn't blame you if you erred on the side of caution and took it out, that's probably what I would do.

Good luck!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.