Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Laporotomy versus laporoscopy

So what is the big difference.  Doctor says 2 days in hospital with laporotomy.  Does that sound right. I've had 2 laporoscopies and no problem. This sounds too major for me. Esp. since the cyst was 12cm and is now 8cm.  Praying it goes down down down in size. ANyone tell me the difference?
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I just had a laporotomy 3 weeks ago today.  They cut from my belly button down to the top of my vagina.  I had an 8cm tumor on my left ovary.  What we all thought was benign, tuned out to be stage 1a.  They removed my left ovary and fallopian tube.

I'm already back at work... the recovery was not nearly as bad as I had prepared myself for.  Worst part is trying to sit up, laughing and trying to go to the bathroom.

We are still waiting to hear of Chemo is in my future, but we know that a full hyst. will be once completely healed.  

I think the best recovery rate is your outlook.  I wanted things to get back to normal so I could feel normal again.  I'm 30 and I'm so tired of all the looks of pity once people hear that I'll never have kids.  Yes, it's sad.  But I feel blessed that it was caught so early in the process.

Good luck and please feel free to email me if you want more details.
Helpful - 0
I thought I had read somewhere that if a cyst was over 5cm it could not be taken out with a laparoscopy.  Bigger than that it would mean a laparotomy.  Don't know if what I read was accurate for size, though.
Helpful - 0
140437 tn?1215109742
A laparotomy is also suggested if the cyst/tumor/mass is too large to get through the small insition made by a laparoscomy - this is my senario. I was told that trying to get a 20cm mass out of a tiny hole was like getting an elephant out of a mini. Nice analogy makes a bit of a difference to the fruit ones I guess. Mind you I dont think there is a fruit big enough to describe mine.

Perhaps a watermelon on steriods?

Anna x
Helpful - 0
Laporotomy is a major cut into the abdomen and would be more likely to be done if your doc is suspecting CA.  The scope doesn't allow for the removal of major organs and for a "feel around" especially the diaphragm is OvaCa is suspected.  Recovery is longer.
Helpful - 0
I had a laparotomy and it is a more 'serious' surgery as they cut through the abdominal muscles - which is why it takes longer to recover.  You don't realise how much you use those muscles until you can't!

I was in hospital 5 days after I had it - had it on the Friday morning and was out the next Wednesday.  I think the size of the incision also depends on how big the cyst is - mine was 25cm, so a rather large cut.  To be honest I could not come out of hospital any sooner - I am young and in good health, you really need time to take it easy and recover.  I also could not eat for about 4 days after and felt really sick - so was very weak.  Now 5 weeks on a feel like a new person - so take the intial time to try and get better.
Helpful - 0
was your 25 cm "thingy" benign?  Did they do a frozen section while you were under.  How as it discovered. By ultrasound or what?  Sorry to be so nosey.  Just not many answers out there.
Helpful - 0
I recently had a laparotomy with a bikini cut and was in the hospital 3 days.  I am now ending week 3 of my recovery. The plan right now is to have 2 more weeks off from work.

From what I understand the laparotomy is more invasive because of the type of cut where as the laparoscopy requires a couple of "holes" or small incisions where they then use probes or something.  With laparoscopy your recovery is much quicker - maybe 2 weeks or something where as a laparotomy is anywhere from 4-6 weeks.

My doctor told me she would do a laparotomy due to the location of my fibroids.

I have also read that a laparotomy allows the doctor more ease to see and feel what is going on.  In my case where one of the fibroids was located she said there were major veins in the area so I definitely wanted her to be able to see what she was doing.  I have also read that some doctors may not be as comfortable with performing laparscopy.  I have also read that gyn/onc prefer to do laparotomy because they can get a better look at things.

I know we all heal differently but my recovery has been fairly smooth.  I feel like I could go back to work but I can now also feel that my insides are still healing so I will wait.  The relaxation part has been the most difficult for me.

Perhaps you could ask your doctor why they are recommending a laparotomy vs. a laparscopy.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.