Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

surgery 6-6-06

My surgery date is really close and I am an emotional wreck! Although my CA125 was at 47, my doctor said that he is 99% positive that it is not cancerous because of my CT scan results. My CT scan showed that I did not have any swelling of my lymp nodes, no fluid in my stomach and a 4cm cystic lession (as opposed to my ultrasound calling it a 5cm mass). He also said that you can never be sure until I have a biopsy, but he thinks that it really looks good and he feels that my increase in CA125 can be due to endometrosis, which would explain my fertility issues the last three years. From your experiences, how reliable is a CT scan in detecting wether a cyst is cancerous (or at least something that does not look good)????
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thinking of you today, and waiting to hear from you on the RS!
Helpful - 0
I will be praying that everything goes well in surgery tomorrow.  I think your doctor is right and it is probably benign.  Look forward to seeing you on the recovery side.  Kasie
Helpful - 0
You are probably already in bed, but I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.
Helpful - 0
I will be praying that everything goes well in surgery tomorrow.  I think your doctor is right and it is probably benign.  Look forward to seeing you on the recovery side.  Kasie
Helpful - 0
108861 tn?1227246048
Hey Cyster,
      I have not been around as much as the past so let me offer my welcome to you!  You strike me as so thoughtful and full of sense so I don't wonder that you get the hebie-jeebies every onow ans then!  You heard about the new global GYN/ONC agreed upon CA-125 limit to the concerned zone, didn't you?  65 on the low end.  Yours backs up what your Dr. is confident in via experience!  The actual consent is important and you must plan that way.  If retaining fertility is the goal, go for it but communicate effectivly.  Ressection can be very effective in removing a benign cyst and retaining the ovary.  Your consent wishes will be detailed given the what-ifs.  Think it out!  We are here to help you!  MV
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.