Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

doctors can't find problem

I have a few days on and off of the need to urinate with tremendous frequency. I had a little bit of blood when I wiped a few times and it stung a little down in the front.  As soon as I get off the toliet I have to go again so it is like a UTI but it doesn't come with the same pain as a UTI.  I went to the gyn thinking it could be a cyst because 4 years ago I had the same symptoms which included back pain, some nausea and pain in pelvic area.  They  found a tiny cyst that they said could be a slow leaking one.  But this time the gyn didn't do an ultrasound just a pelvic exam and a test for a UTI which came out negative.  Then I went to see my family practicioner who ordered a CT scan but it was negative for kidney stones.  Two babies later I stared getting pain on my right pelvic area so bad it took my breath away -before during and after my period.  My doc ordered an ultrasound 6 months ago which didn't show any cysts.  I don't know what is going on but I worry because my mom is in remission from ovarian cancer and her sister had it too.  I have had years of IBS but the last few years I have had a lot more diarreah and recently was put in the ER w/ gastritsis.  I will have a colonoscopy soon.  The abdomin pain is sometimes very intense mostly in the mornings. Whenever I am examined my swollen lower tummy hurts and that has been going on for about 8 months.  
Sorry this is so long but should I insist on another ultrasound or is the ct scan sufficent to determine cysts too?  It has only been 6 months since my last utlrasound so my gyn didn't want to do another one.  Thank
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I SO sorry for your loss. I truly feel for your experience in a way I won't even go into right now, but to say I am truly sorry you had to experience this. And now to back up ShawnP in saying persist, incessantly. I am convinced that FAR too many people give up and go away until their problem is a very URGENT situation. As far as the testing, I would insist on persisting until some kind of answer is found. I don't have any idea if this is a possibity for you, but I had similar symptoms and had endometriosis which could only be diagnosed via laproscopy (some of which was microscopic was told). I have such a LONG Ob-Gyn history, it's almost embarassing with severe endometriosis (3 laproscopic procedures between my children) and two ectopic pregnancies due to the endometriosis. By some miracle, I ended up with two children (though they were 10 years apart due to all of the medical challenges). Just make sure you're the squeakiest wheel in the place. I wish you well, and I'm pulling for you. Suz/BeenThereDT
Helpful - 0
Make sure they do a trans-vaginal ultrasound. You cannot see nearly as much with a regular one.
Helpful - 0
Your symptoms and mine sound very much alike--and like you, no one ha yet been able to figure out what is wrong with me.  I thought I was doing better on this last antibiotic, but tonight the pain is right back.

I have an appt with my Gp on Thursday, but if this pain is still here in the morning, I am going to try to get in with another gyn a friend of mine knows really well.
Helpful - 0
That's sounds so frustrating.  If I were you, I'd insist on atleast another Ultrasound.  I just don't think it's normal to have pain like that.  If that doesn't work maybe change to a different OB/Gyn doctor.  With your family history you can't afford to be dismissed.  My husband complained of back pain that was dismissed for 6 months as "getting older" arthritic pain.  Another 6 months after that, he was diagnosed in the ER with Renal/Kidney cancer. Turned out to be Stage IV, and he passed away 1 year later at the age of 44.  Knowing things like this can get missed or brushed aside is disheartening.  I have found that being persistant manages to get things moving again.  Good luck and keep my posted.
Helpful - 0
Thank you for responding.  I will try insisting on another ultrasound.  I do think something is going on.  I forgot to mention I am beyond exhausted all the time and checked for anemia and don't have that.  I hope I can get an answer soon.  I really appreciate you sharing your responses with me.
Helpful - 0
You definately need to have another ultrasound, but it needs to be a vaginal one.  It gives the best look at the ovaries.  With your family history of Ovarian cancer, you can not mess around with this.  If your doctor does not want to do another one, simply find another doctor.  You only get one chance to do things right.  Kasie
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.