Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Endometrial bx. results? Confused as to cancer or pre-cancer?

I just had my endometrial bx. on Friday and my results came back as eosinophilic metaplasia.  Does anyone know if this is a pre-cancerous condition or cancer of the endometrium.  I've had dysfunctional bleeding on and off for the last two years.  If it is pre-cancerous does anyone know the treatment or is it to have a hysterectomy.  Any advice would be welcomed.  Anna
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
It is neither cancerous nor a pre-cancerous condition.  I finally had a chance to look this one up:  Pathology  labs use stains on tissue samples.  Eosinophilic refers to tissue that becomes stained pink or red as the tissue absorbs more of that particular type of stain (eosin.)  Metaplasia, as already explained is a change in the  cells, which results from chronic infections or inflammations.  Most importantly, metaplasic cells changes are not an indication of carcinogenesis.
Helpful - 0
119341 tn?1232563757
My mom had pre-cancerous cells in her uterus. She had a hysterecomy. She never said what the technical name was just that it was in the last stage. And being that it was almost twenty years ago I doubt she remembers.
Helpful - 0
I am not certain it is either of those choices.  Eosinophils are a type of leukocyte, a part of the immune system.  As for   "Metaplasia"... I cannot state that I have ever seen the term, but wouldn't that mean some sort of not-particularly-alive collection of cells?  Like a growth, perhaps.  I am just guessing here, but perhaps you have a condition that your body is interpreting as an infection or inflammation, and your immune system is fighting it.

I just don't know.  I would love to know the real answers to your questions when you learn them, so please share!
Helpful - 0
What does your doctor say?  If you have the results, you should have had some sort of conversation with the doctor.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.