Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Should I get this for Mom????

Today I started remembering those sanitary pads with the instant cold pack in them that I got at the hospital when I had my daughter. They felt SO good on my sore bottom! (Funny the things that pop into my head sometimes!) Anyway, my mom is having her hysterectomy on the 15th--is there anything she might like those for? With an abdominal incision, will she still have vaginal bleeding? If nothing else, someone suggested putting a maxi pad vertically on your panties along the incision, and this might feel even better. I think I'm losing my good sense--I walk into Walgreens looking for things to buy her to make her feel better! I could spend a fortune before she even goes to the hospital. I'm such a mother hen--even with my own mother! What do you guys think?
9 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I haven't had my surgery yet but I have been told this helps a lot.
https://www.hystersisters.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=16139

It is from a site called Histersisters.
I red about it on another BB. everyone was singing it's praises.

The Swelly Belly Band will provide you with comfort, support and cool relief from many of the discomforts during recovery from abdominal hysterectomy.

* Stop the itching at the incision

* Help reduce your Swelly Belly (it stays cool for hours)

* Provides cool relief from the burning sensation

* Protects comfort when wearing a seat belt

* Provides support when sitting up and walking

* Conforms to your body so it can even be worn under clothing

* Doesn't feel bulky

* Now fits horizontal incisions OR vertical. Select sizing below!

To Use: Just soak it in ice water for about ten minutes and you will see the waistband swell with a soft, cool gel inside. Wipe the excess water away with a towel and the band is now ready to provide you with immediate relief. When you want it cool again, simply resoak it for a few minutes.

I hope this helps you and your Mom. Love Bea
Helpful - 0
Your Mom's lucky to have you as an advocate.  I don't think she'll need the cold pack.  From experience with 2 C-Sections & a hysterectomy I found an abdominal binder wonderful.  From what I hear not all doctor's order them for their pt's.  The binder is like a big, wide giant piece of elastic with velcro to close it.  Some places just tell you to brace a pillow against your incision when you get up & down or when you need to cough.  I found the binder much better and is still helpful with the pillow over it.  It kind of holds everything together and gives the incision area and all the cut muscles support.  In fact, when I would take it off to shower I just felt like everything in me was drooping, I was much more comfortable wearing the binder. Ask the doctor to put it in his orders.  If for some reason the hospital doesn't have them available I'm sure you could get one at a medical supply store.  Good luck to your Mom.  It's one of those surgerys that you feel awful after but you see improvement on a daily basis but it is really a good 6 weeks to recuperate.
Helpful - 0
Hee hee.....thanks. She's going to be darn sick of me by the time I leave! A few weeks ago before they diagnosed the ovarian stuff, her GP was doing the typical "rule out everything else" tests, and I got frustrated that she still wasn't feeling better, so I called (from 5 hours away, mind you...) and scheduled another doctor appointment myself! Then I thought to myself, "Oh crud...now I have to call and tell HER that I've butted into her situation again!" So I called and told her what I had done, and she said, "You know what? You're a pain in the A**!!!"  I told her, "No Mom, you've already got one of THOSE....you can't blame that on me!" She just sighed and said, "OK, when do I have to be there this time?!" She's very independent, even at almost 80, and I know it bugs the heck out of her to have to let us kids take care of her. She's quite a character!
Helpful - 0
140437 tn?1215109742
What a wonderfull daughter you are I wanted to cry when I read that post. I hope there is somebody equally lovely that looks after you!

Anna x
Helpful - 0
107366 tn?1305680375
COMMUNITY LEADER
I, too, am impressed with your dedication to your mom as she faces this surgery.  It sounds as if you will make sure she will be as comfortable as possible after the surgery.  

She may have some spotting afterwards.  I did for a few days, but it wasn't heavy by any means.  A panty liner worked great.  I used those long 12 inch bandages for my incision, but mine was pretty big.  I had 85 staples.  If your mom's is small enough, a pad would probably work wonderfully.  As it heals, it will probably start to itch, so you might ask her doctor if it would be okay to get some kind of anti-itch spray (easier than having to rub an ointment over the staples in an area that may still be tender).  Some doctors don't mind, and others prefer you not do that.  Mine agreed, thankfully, because I think I would have gotten out and rolled in the gravel if it would have helped the itching stop!  The idea of the abdominal band is good, too.  I didn't get one of those, but wished I had.  

Best of luck to you both, and prayers for you that everything turns out great!

Gail :)
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
You are such a good daughter.  Your mom should be very pleased that she raised such a lovely woman.  We should all be as fortunate.  
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
OK, another question.....I was looking at some abdominal binders online. Thanks for the suggestion! Did you guys have the simple wide band with velcro, or the kind that is more like panties with velcro "wings" that came around and attached in the front? I just wondered if the band would be very comfortable.
Helpful - 0
I had tyhe wide band one also.  It's actually more comfortable than it looks.  It was probably about 12-20 inches high and you could adjust the velcro to whatever width you needed.  You may want to check with her doctor before you buy one, he may routinely orders them for his pt's in the hospital. They are great.
Helpful - 0
82818 tn?1206989814
I think your mother is very lucky to have a daughter that loves her so much!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.