Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Can this be right ?

Hello Special Ladies
I have questions but first I must say I finally have a surgery date July12 ,(better then 6mons as I origanly posted but protested  against because of you ladies ) but I am also seeing another surgeon in the morning so if I feel she's better ..date may change ...hopefully closer .
Also ..A little more bad news ..I have a lump in my left breast and a swollen lymph node under my left arm to go with what I already had... a large cyst on my right ovary and a large complex cyst on my left ovary ..These things seam to be popping up everywhere...having a mammogram next and another MRI..
This is turning into a full time job all these Dr's appt's...
Anyway...
I seen my GP today and asked her some questions about hysterectomy and hormones ..
She Told me because of my age(48) and the fact that I am closing  in on menopause anyway ..No hormone therapy will be given to me and any symptoms like hotflashes will be dealt with a mild anti depressant .
She says here in Toronto ..Doctors will only take you off HRT not put you on them .
Can this be right?
I have read a ton of info online that says much different.
What will happen to me if I'm not given hormones?

I've been to hystercysters ..just can't comfortable enough there to ask any questions so please if anyone can answer my questions here ..I would greatly apreciate it .
Thanks and much Love
Lex...
8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Ladies /Cysters

This is what I've found on Lupron ..

USES: This medication is a synthetic hormone. When it is used, the body stops producing testosterone hormones in males and estrogen hormones in females. When the medication is stopped, hormone levels return to normal. Leuprolide is used in the treatment of prostate cancer in men, early puberty in children, and anemia (due to uterine fibroid tumors) in women.

OTHER USES: This medication may also be used for ovarian or breast cancer in women.

SIDE EFFECTS: Adults - This medication may cause nausea, vomiting, hot flashes, night sweats, bone pain, swelling of feet and ankles, headache, or difficulty urinating the first few days as your body adjusts to the medication. Notify your doctor if these symptoms continue or become bothersome. This medication may cause reduced sexual desire. Notify your doctor if you develop any of the following while using this medication: rapid heartbeat, chest pain, breathing difficulties, fever, chills, painful urination, testicular or prostate pain (men), persistent irritation at the injection site. Tell your doctor immediately if any of these highly unlikely but very serious side effects occur: severe headache, vision changes, severe drowsiness, unusual or one-sided weakness. Children - This medication may cause general pain, acne, irritation at injection site, vaginal inflammation or discharge (females). The medication may rarely cause swelling of hands or feet, weight gain, headache, nervousness, drowsiness, nausea, vomiting, gingivitis, or trouble swallowing. Notify your doctor if these symptoms continue or become bothersome. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.

My Goodness ..don't I already have all most of these problems ...
I should want more ..
Rather grow a third eye in the middle of my forehead ..I think ..lol
Lex
Helpful - 0
My God ...I just don't know what I would be doing right now if I hadn't found you all ...

Thank you so much for being here ..
I'm sorry that we all have our reasons for being here ..but no one can possibly understand better then those who are living the nightmare.

Now ..

AnotherKatie ..you asked why the hyster..
Adhesions(from previous surgerys and watching and waiting  on this cysts way to long I think ) ...have everything a mess in there and my Dr's suggest I get this over once and for all ..or I will surely be back for more surgery.Also my small bowel is tangled up in this mess ..expect to lose some of that as well .
Both ovarys are a mess  and the left with the complex cyst is attached to my bowel now .It's an owie I might add.

Seen a new Surgeon today ..very nice Lady but ...
Always a but eh ..
She first told me with the amount of adhesions I have I didn't have to worry about torsion or rupture ..
Ahhhh...
Is it me or is something wrong with that statement ?

Anyway ..she proceeded to ask me if I wouldn't mind trying Lupron for a while and see what happens ..
What happens I say ?
She says a trial run at menopause ..
and then surgery..
Ahhh put it off she says to try on menopause for size.. what I'm facing either today or tommorow ..why should I want to do this ?
Can I change my mind and not have menopause if I don't like it ?

Am I wrong here?

She is the chief of Obstetrics at St Mikes here ..

I really left her office with my head spinning .
And  my least worrysome thought was the 485.$ canadian she wants per shot ....

So July12th it is for me ..Surgery day...with origanl surgeon...I want all these aliens out of me ..I want my hormones balanced for once in my life (PCO) sufferer here and I want to get better ..hit the roller ball therapy Mary taught me about to beat back the adhesions I will no doubt get after the cut back the old ones..I want to go to aqua fit then yoga and get my life and body back ( I know this all is pending the outcome of the patholigists report during surg ) But i choose to be optomistic.

So what do you think my sisters of the heart ?

Have I lost my mind or am I just having bad luck with doctors ?

I know you ladies will come through for me with all you good sense/good advive and understanding ..
I await your reponses..and tommorow ...I... will be out book shopping ;)

Thank you so very much for all your help..
Lex..

Helpful - 0
Dear Lex, GOSH!  Why do we always seem to have more than one thing going on??  I had a history of cysts, and ended up with a total hysterectomy with removal of my last ovary.  My doctor, a respected gyne in Calgary, Alberta, absolutely would NOT HEAR of me going without hormones, starting right after my surgery.  He prescribed the bio-identical Estraderm patch.  You change it every 3 or 4 days.  I too am 48 and he said "You are young! and you need estrogen to protect your bladder, vagina, bones, heart, etc."  Although it is sometimes prescribed, I do not believe that an anti depressant is the BEST remedy for hot flashes, HOWEVER, your doctor may be thinking of the breast issues you might have. Just so you know, I had a breast lump too right around when I had my hyster and it was fine.  In fact the breast pain I had for years has completely stopped!
You need a gynecologist girl! Is the surgeon you are seeing a gynecologist?  I hope so!  
I totally agree with Linda F too :)  You are not going over the edge.  Again, why are you having the hyster?  
Love Katie

Helpful - 0
106886 tn?1281291572
LEX.....Listen to Katie. She knows what she is talking about. I was hoping you would come on, Kate, actually....Canadian connection and... all this hormone stuff....can drive one crazy, eh? (as you'd say! ...love it!).

Lex, Katie and I have been discussing this issue forever it seems (ok, since the fall of 05)...along with many others on this forum. There are many threads in the archives regarding this information.

To be clear, though...and, I really appreciated the first time I heard this differentiation....sounds like the doctor does not want to put you on drugs. But, hormones??? Well...that is another subject entirely.

Do all the research you can and get to know this stuff. It will be the best thing you could do for yourself. You could get very lucky and not have many problems in the years post-hysterectomy (that would be terribly evident..such as hot flashes, night sweats, short-term memory issues, leg cramps, headaches, etc...but, what you would not be getting is the protection regarding your bones (bioidentical estrogen will protect from bone loss and bioidentical progesterone (NOT progestin...a common mistake to mix up these two...progestin...like in Prempro.. is a drug)...bio progesterone is a hormone which cannot be patented because it is identical to what our body makes...anyway, the bio progesterone will actually build up bone.

These hormones are not as commonly understood because the drug companies promote their stuff (like premarin and prempro) ...the drugs that mask the symptoms of menopause and have all those icky side effects that the doc wants you to steer clear of)....boy, I was going to make this short...sorry. But, what you want to do is replenish what your body used to make...and have an exact balance (this is soooo key) of progesterone and estrogen. Again....the two together is the absolute best combination. A compounding pharmacist can help you. I am amazed at how much they know this stuff. Google compounding pharmacists to get their website and you can find out about the compounders in your area...or at least within a reasonable distance. Mine is 60 miles away and I have the items mailed to me.

If you are told that you don't need progesterone because you don't have a uterus...then, you will know that the doctor is confusing this with progestin again. We all need progesterone. We have cell receptors for it in our lungs and in our brains. WE NEED IT.

Get a hold of Dr. Uzzi Reiss's book on Natural hormones. And, for sure pick up Dr. Christian Northrup's book, "The Wisdom of Menopause." Very helpful and informative. And, get what you need if you want. And, before you accept something as fact, research it first. I cannot tell you how much confusion I have run into regarding these products. I thank God for my compounding pharmacist.

Well, I can tell I am starting to ramble. It is very late...off to bed. Good luck to you. Hang in there. Sorry I cannot address the breast issue. But, I wonder, too, if it is an infection that could be easily treated.

Take Care, Mary
Helpful - 0
The only bit I can add confused Lex is about the hormones.  I am 52 but have never had symptons of menopause. I am  quite overweight.  When I asked the gyn/onc about possible surgical menopause she said that the fat produces estrogen so it has probably eased my through menopause and will continue to after surgery.  I certainly hope that is the case.  Good luck and I know it does not help to tell any one not to worry.  I even try to tell myself that.  I fool myself for a while but it always catches up with me.
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
Listen to Mary53 - She knows her stuff.  I am loading up on the books etc. so I can be prepared after my hyster.  I may only have 10% of an ovary left, but I need to have my ducks in a row.
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Hi Lin
Yes it is painful but only to the touch.
Is there a special reason you asked ?
Helpful - 0
Also I might add ..I'm at the point now I don't know what to be worried about more so I'm not worrying at all ..
Am I going over the edge ?
You know the calm before the storm ?

Thanks again ..
LEX
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.