Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Who has had severe symptoms mimicing pregnancy? And was it OC or benign?

This is a loaded question, but my main symptom as I sit here, besides lower back ache and pain over my right ovary, is the unbelievable feeling that I am pregnant.  (but I'm not and am in mid-cycle).  I feel nauseated, bloated, and the breast tenderness is unreal.  I am currently nursing my daughter, and I can hardly bear the pain.  The breast tenderness was always a sure sign for me that I was pregnant.
So, focusing on that symptom . . .extreme breast tenderness . . .can anyone tell me that they had this symptom and what the result was?
It is just so odd.  I haven't had it before in conjunction with this cyst.  This cyst appeared after c-section, and was watched with no change for one year, and then the last six months has been growing, fallopian tube shows enlargement, and the symptoms became severe about two months ago.
I would LOVE to talk to someone who had a good result, but want to hear from everyone.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Jan
17 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
You know that is such a strange thing that there are other women going through this, God help me I thought I was going crazy with these pregnancy symptoms. the strangest thing was a few months ago I thought I could be pregnant due to the increase in nausea and 1 day late on my period (not normal for me) and very fertile, so I took the test and it came back with faint pink lines, I just knew I said to myself, but then low and behold later in the day I started a very normal period. I was extremly confused, I was going to call my ob but I did'nt want her to think I was just a stupind woman. these cyst's always cause me to feel like I am pregnant, so yes please don't think your crazy, you're not alone, I now realize I'm not.
Helpful - 0
Funny you mention the cyst leaking. I was sure mine was too and I kept telling my hubby that. But, in reality it wasn't leaking, it was just twisting and dancing around in there. I feel for you. It truly sucks, but your waiting will be over soon!

Linda J
Helpful - 0
Blondebrain,
I have told my doc (through an email) of my incredible pregnancy symptoms, and still I'm not moved up in my appointment.  I just am so mad I'm not being seen immediately.
I'm going to go back and read your previous post, I forget about the progress, how long you knew you had the cyst, etc.  I know you've responded well to chemo and that is THE BEST NEWS EVER!  Honestly, the most aggressive cancers respond the best to chemo, right?  The cells divide fast and that is what chemo attacks, yes?
I just want to live.  Like we all do. And I can't stand that I have to wait when I am SO symptomatic.
I did look online and saw that pregnancy symptoms can just be sign of a cyst, so I hope it isn't always a sign of the cancer you had.  Should I go get a blood test for that pregnancy hormone?  That might give some answers.
Going to keep reading and will respond more.  Thanks for writing!
Helpful - 0
Anna, what is your story?  Have you waited a long time for surgery?  Good luck to you!
Helpful - 0
140437 tn?1215109742
Hi again,

There are stats left right and centre I will do my best to give you an idea but it is by no means written in stone(stats are a dangerous game and cause unessesary fear). The 99% figure is very non-specific because it does not take any other variable other than the presence of a cyst into account. Approx 99% of functional cysts are benign most of which resolve on their own with no further need for treatment. Approx 93% of complex cysts are benign (but are most cause for concern as malignant cysts are almost always comlex)some of which resolve on their own (but we dont agree on this site with watch and wait when it comes to the complex sort). But as you can see it is not that most complex cysts are malignant it is that most malignant cysts are complex. This is an overall trend not taking into account, age, family history, appearence and behaviour of the cyst. To be brutally honest it can be anything from 1% chance to 80% chance and even that isn't certain. Ill tell you my story in the next post I am going to run out of space!

Anna x
Helpful - 0
140437 tn?1215109742
I went to the docs with a breast lump about 3 weeks ago. That was the last day of life as I knew it. I am 32 years old and the doc wasn't worried but sent me to the clinic for tests. Whilst at the clinic the breast surgen showed some concern for the distention in my belly - asked if I was pregnant - you tell me I says. Erm no I think you have friboids at an advanced stage and will need a complete hyst. Well I had a hyst alright a hysterical fit. Lukily after the needle biopsy on the breast lump I was sent downstairs for U/S and VUS and a HUGE 20cm complex ovarian cyst was discovered (boy was I ever gonna stop crying). Had another app with GYN a week later who said I would need laparotomy to remove - lush scar - and did ca 125 blood test. I went back for the results of my breast lump yesterday and that was benign but what a nightmare that was (see my post below about just give me the numbers). I asked for my ca 125 and was told it was slightly elevated - sometimes you wonder if you will ever get good news, althought I thank god for the breast lump result which did take the sting out of it a bit. I see the GNY on Tuesday who will give me his interpretation of the ca 125 - oh goody cant wait.

This site is my salvation the woman on here are without doubt my sole cysters so please stick around for support.

Anna x
Helpful - 0
140437 tn?1215109742
ps

In addition to support you get to keep up with Linda F's fantasy life with dishy doctor - I reakon there is a romance in the making there but dont say I said anything HAHAHAHA SSSSHHHHHHH!

Anna x
Helpful - 0
I had symptoms mimicing pregnancy because it was a rare form of ovarian cancer -- germ cell -- that kicked off heavy doses of the pregnancy hormone: Beta HCG. My husband had left me and I wasn't sexually active so I couldn't understand why I felt pregnant. Well, it was the hormones from the cancer. This type of cancer starts in your eggs. I thought my problems were pre-menopausal since I was 45, going through a divorce and my mom was dying from lung cancer (also stress). Follow your instincts.
I learned the hard way.
Helpful - 0
Anna, thank you for your comments.

I was wondering about that statistic, is there a site that says that 99% of ovarian cysts are benign?

I'm wondering, does that mean 99% biopsied? Or does it mean that 99% identified, even ones that go away on their own?

I'm just curious how they get that statistic.

Thank you to anyone who will explain.  It does offer some piece of mind!

Good luck to you with your surgery.  I think you will be just fine, post here when you know.  :)
Helpful - 0
Anna - I think you explained the statistics very well.  Thank you.  You mentioned people don't agree on waiting for the complex cysts?  Honestly, if I would have had this site in my hands 18 months ago, I would have insisted the ovary be removed, or the cyst taken.  My doctor (supposed to be one of the best)has never had a sense of urgency, just gave me the options of ovary removal, or watch and wait.  They went a year without even giving me a CA-125.
I just feel very lost and slipping through the cracks.
I'm going to hope and pray that you and all of us are OK!  Let us know!
Helpful - 0
Linda is hilarious, I have her pegged already!  :)
Helpful - 0
Blondebrain,
They put me on birth control, I've been on a few days.  Wouldn't that actually promote this rare cancerous growth?
Oh I'm so upset, not having answers and not having access to the doctor, makes me crazy.
Helpful - 0
Blondebrain,
OK, another thing, you are the only one who has responded as having severe pregnancy symptoms, that makes me feel like, yes I really do have a tumor emitting pregnancy hormones.  It must be.  Wouldn't you think?
Helpful - 0
Hi again, i really think most any of these cysts can mimmic pregnancy. They mess with your hormone levels. I know I had almost all your symptoms, even some breast tenderness. I attributed the breast tenderness to not really getting a full period and just having continuous spotting for almosy 2 months. Try not to get ahead of yourself, there girl!

Linda J
Helpful - 0
And I did take a pregnancy test today . . .negative.  So I suppose if I did have the tumor secreting the pregnancy hormones, it would come back positive.
I wonder if what I had is leaking or bursting, I mean I feel SOOOO sick.  Can't even eat.  Lost a lot of weight now, and I swear I am pregnant.  It is just SOOOO odd.
Must stop obsessing for the weekend.
Thanks again everyone.
Helpful - 0
140437 tn?1215109742
I think the general consencous is that these cysts play havoc with your hormones. I actually thought I might be pregnant bafore the cyst was diagnosed. I was naseous, bloated, hearburn, indegestion, sore breasts, movement, constantly going to the loo. Deep down i knew I wasn't pregnant it was wishful thinking on my part. Ovarian cyst was the last thing on my mind I had never even heard of it - expert now.

I am afraid I can not tell you about the outcome of my cyst my surgery is not until 3rd July. However the symptoms of OC are the same as the benign cyst. Benign/malignant can not be distinguished on the basis of symptoms.

There is little peice of mind in this particular game apart from 99% are benign - although this is a pretty generalised statistic and doesnt apply to specific cases - its an overall number.

Anna x
Helpful - 0
Hi Anna, congrats on the good news about your breast lump. That is great!

p.s.You are too funny about Linda F and the dishy doc :-)

Linda J

Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.