Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

wondering about what to wear after hyst surgery

This sounds stupid, but I am about to buy sleepwear and clothes for the summer. I would like to know what was best for you after surgery. Was it MOO MOO type clothes that are loose fitting and sleep gowns, or PJ's and elastic waist pants? Sorry this is stupid I know but I want to be prepared.
Thanks Bea
9 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thank you so much! You girls are just too much! I think I will stick to the moo moo and loose stuff. I am not lucky enough to get the bikini. I get the big incision. Yur right Comfort over looks for now. Thanks also for the slip on shoes idea - I hadn't thought about that. Also hadn't thought about the extra big panties either. I am so glad I asked and thanks again for taking the time to help me. You all rock! Bea
Helpful - 0
I'm three weeks out of a laproscopic and am still wearing comfy loose elastic waist shorts as soon as I get home, and have three pairs of jeans that are comfy since they were too big in the waist before surgery.
That's it so far.... hopefully it gets less tender. It's not even necessarily the scars, it's mainly the internal feeling from everything, pressure, and even your skin aches from everything that was done.
I found loose pants that look Urkle-style (go up to literally my chest) that I wore for the first week back to work, since they looked nicer than sweats.
~Marianne
Helpful - 0
Hi, I just had a hyst last week, so I can share with you what's comfortable at this point, anyway. I have lived (day and night) in comfortable "gym wear" - loose, cotton pants and cotton tops. I went out and bought some of these before surgery and am so glad to have them now! Wish I had a few more...... I bought elastic waist "bike shorts", not tight and some long pants - a few longer shirts and some cute flip-flops (to avoid bending over to tie shoes!). They are very comfortable and can accomodate my changing size over the last few weeks. I didn't want to look like a total wreck, but certainly wanted to be comfortable and able to rest. Hope this helps.....
Helpful - 0
I had my ovary and tube removed 12 weeks ago and I still like the stretch waist pants. Anything with a belt is irritating to my incision even at this point. For sleep, loose nightgowns are best.

Linda J
Helpful - 0

Hi there,
Even 8 weeks post-op, I can't wait to get home and take OFF whatever is tight around my stomach. After a laparotomy, the scar is fairly large and stays tender and achy for a long time. Also, summer tends to mean warm weather and sweaty skin, so think in those terms when shopping for post-op clothing.
Helpful - 0
Ya, I didn't want to scare you about the bikini thing, but between the brusing, the scars and the tenderness, it's not happening here ;-) I'm 5'6 and about 118 pounds, so it's not that i'm way out of shape, it just isn't comfortable for the above reasons. Maybe you will be lucky and you'll bounce right back.

Linda J
Helpful - 0
Linda F...  you are too funny...

TheBea...  just think light and airy.  If you are a heavy woman, MOO MOO's could be just what you are looking for.  If not for the first few weeks, I liked mens boxers and in a size a bit too big for me (to hang around the yard and house) and to go out draw string, nothing w/ an elastic waste; especially if you are having laparscopic instruments thru the belly button.

You will be fine...  Light and Airy, Light and Airy...  Just remember that you go shopping...

Good luck to you and best wishes.
Helpful - 0
107366 tn?1305680375
COMMUNITY LEADER
My mom went out and got me some of the biggest, most unattractive cotton granny panties ever made....but man did they feel good!  They did have an elastic waist, but she got them about 2 sizes too big, so they didn't bind.  I wore shorts and sweats around the house, and anything that was loose if I had to go out.  I probably looked like the local bag lady, but I was much more interested in comfort than fashion at that point.   Good luck to you, and I hope everything goes well!

Gail :)
Helpful - 0
There are no stupid questions on this site!  I would recommend that you buy clothes/sleepwear that is streachy and loose.  I spent 3 weeks in cotton short and t-shirts.  I found night gowns to be more comfortable.  Hope this helps.  Kasie
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.