Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Endometrial Ablation for annovulatory DUB? Any thoughts?

I finally spoke to my GYN yesterday.  My pathology from my endometrial bx. was benign just showing disordered endometrial bleeding.  I still have to have a saline infused sonogram and he recommended that I should think about having an endometrial ablation or try BCP's again (I've bled right through them twice).  I asked him point blank if I was at an increased risk to develop uterine cancer and he said yes because of my estrogen induced annovulatory cycles and lack of progesterone production.  My question is if I have the ablation to control the DUB and I stop bleeding how will I know if I have any abnormality and that my lining of my uterus is not building up again?  I know the ablation will control the disordered bleeding but my hormonal imbalance will still continue?  Should I take some form of Progesterone so that doesn't happen?  Any thoughts on this.  My GYN said that although I will bleed either less or not at all from EA if I was to have symptoms of endometrial cancer it will bleed through the EA.  He also said the EA may give relief for a year or several years that many people need a repeat ablation in the future or ultimately a hysterectomy.  So bearing all this in mind I'm more confused than before.  Should I try another trial of BCP pills and see what happens or should I take may chances with the EA and be followed closely for signs and symptoms of endometrial cancer with ultrasounds and endometrial bx.?  Any advice would be welcomed.  Thanks Anna
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Did your endometrial biopsy show atypia?

"Patients with endometrial specimens that show atypia have about a 25 percent likelihood of progressing to carcinoma, compared with less than 2 percent in patients without atypia."

I'm having an EA on Thursday.  I figure it's worth a try, being a simple outpatient procedure.  I'm assuming you are past childbearing age?  I'm fairly close to menopause so I'm hoping this gets me through til then.  If not, then I'll resort to a hyst if needed.
Helpful - 0
I was considering EA or Uterine Artery Embolization when I had really heavy periods that they thought were from an oversized uterus and fibroids.  An MRI finally diagnosed me with Adenomyosis, and the UAE wouldn't help that, so I had a hysterectomy.  They also took my cervix but left the ovaries.

Best thing I ever did.  No more bleeding, PMS is almost indetectible and before the surgery it was bad.  No negative side-effects, sexual or otherwise.  

I don't know your age or future plans, and I don't know if they advise pregnancy after EA or not.  Not to push hysto, but it solves the bleeding problem permanently if they leave your ovaries you're not in menopause.
Helpful - 0
Hey--congrats on the good news, though!!  I know you still have concerns, but..Whoo Hoo on your good news!!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.