Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Ascites

Hi there, can anyone help with any suggestions for reliefing the discomfort of ascites.  My cancer has returned after 8 months and awaiting chemo on the 29th of June.  Unfortunately the 29th of June seems forever and the discomfort I feel is awful.  Just been told to take pain killers but that doesn't help the bloating feeling!!!.  Cheers Carol
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi carol, last year,when I was diagnosed with OC,waiting for my surgery I used to use a wheat bag that you heated in the microwave and I'd lie it on my stomach.I'm in England,don't know where you are and if you can get them.The heat used to help a lot.Also not wearing any tight clothing round my waist,just big baggy everything!I haven't had any ascites with this recurrence,so far.Hope this helps
Sue.
Helpful - 0
I live in Florida & I go to a research cancer Hospital. There doing a new research with ov cells. It's a protein that is found some c cells. If I have this protein I will be 1 out of 24 people to do the research to kill just the c cells. I'll let everyone know if I get to participate. I look like I'm going to have a baby, but I do not want to be drained. I'll try the heat on my stomach.
Thank you.
Carol
Helpful - 0
I went to my local er and they did it for me after being diagnosed and having it drained once there. I must tell you the relief did not last a long time...  I really just wanted to eat something.  Pain meds did not work for me either at that point, seem to have made everything worse!  Good Luck, mine went away quickly after surgery, the next day they stood me up and it all came gushing out, the nurses all freaked out and called the Dr and so forth but I knew what it was and it has never came back!!
Helpful - 0
Hi everyone thanks for your comments, unfortunately the reason I have to wait so long for chemo is that the junior doctors here in New Zealand are on strike for a week hence everything including chemo being pushed back for a couple of weeks.  As for draining the fluid off they are not happy to do that just yet because of the danger of perforating the bowel.  I did have it drained when I was first diagnosed last year and it did help but they are reluctant to do it this time.  I have to say that the pain killers do help so I will have to just keep taking them until the 29th.

I can deal with the cancer coming back and know I can fight it again but the ascites just makes you feel so miserable all the time.  Anyway thanks again  Carol
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.