Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

CA-125 number is normal....but!

Just today I thought I finally had all of my questions answered by the intelligent women here (because the gyn certainly didn't help me.)

HA!

New one: I have a cyst that could be bleeding in on itself, gyn is opting to wait/watch. (I'm asking my primary for a referral to a gyn/onc next week, so I won't be seeing the gyn again.)Anyway, I don't know if the cyst is hemorrhagic or a "collection of follicles" (gyn's terminology).

My CA-125 was 7.5.

I had a hysterectomy, so maybe nothing is going on in there?

Meaning, maybe I do NOT have a hemorrhagic cyst since the CA-125 was low?

I know that this test can have a variety of outcomes and shouldn't be used as a diagnostic tool for ovca, I'm just wondering about it's relevance re: a hemorrhagic cyst.

Clear as mud?

Thanks,
Suzanne
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
My mom has ovarian as well, so I can relate to your feelings.  

CA125 is a good test to look for recurrence of ovca in someone who has been diagnosed and treated.  But it is NOT a reliable way to find out if someone has early stage ovca before any surgery/pathology is done.  I would be more afraid of a dr who trusted the test too much than one who doesn't take it seriously.

CA125 can be raised by many benign conditions, including endometriosis or ovarian cysts.  Many women with an elevated CA125 do not have ovca.  At the same time, up to 20% of women diagnosed with early stage ovca will have a CA125 reading in the "normal" range.  I have read that overall, CA125 is about 50% accurate in diagnosing early stage ovca.

I also have a TVUS and CA125 done yearly.  I find it reassuring that the number has been consistently low... however I put a LOT more faith in the TVUS than in the CA125.

Mom on the other hand, has a CA125 every few months.  Since we know her CA125 was in the single digits after chemo finished, when it rises past the normal range (35) it is probably a sign the cancer is beginning to return.

MickeyVickey does an excellent job explaining this in a posting under "Can someone please explain CA125 to me once and for all?" from LindaF on 6/15/06.

The Gilda Radner Foundation (www.ovariancancer.com) is diligently searching for a RELIABLE test for early stage ovarian cancer.  If one is found it could save thousands of lives.  Unfortunately, as of now, CA125 is not that test.
Helpful - 0
I just want to say - best of luck to you.
Since Ovarian Cancer is not usually found until it is in its later stages - a CA-125 tumor marker is an EXTREMELY VALUABLE tool - short of an invasive procedure.
It is an inexpensive blood test - and for some people can mean the difference between life and death.
It is the only way we know when my mother's advanced re-current ovarian cancer has returned - which has been many times.
So many doctors don't think it has validity, but speaking from experience - if my doctor thought that - I would change doctors.

I have a CA-125 reading done every year as well as a transvaginal ultrasound and pelvic exam - as a precaution.

Again, best wishes.
Helpful - 0
Hi Linda, the doc who did my surgery didn't put any stock in the CA-125 test either for cystic women. I didn't have one done.  I already knew I had a cyst that had to come out, so what was the point? lol.

Linda J
Helpful - 0
I had a CEA and CA 125 done.  CEA was 2.8 and CA 125 was 4.  I had my biopsies done last Friday.  I feel like this is the only true indicator.  So, I will let you know the results when I get them.  Tomorrow I will see the ob/gyn again and I will ask him what he thinks of the CA 125 and it's validity.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.