Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Distended abdomen discomfort

My 82 mother was given 2 months to live 4 months ago when ovarian cancer ( supposedly stage 3) was diagnosed. At that time she had 3.4 litres of ascites fluid drained. She also had just the one session of chemo which made her so terribly ill that she chose not to continue. After recovering from the side affects which included vomiting and chronic constipation she has now had a few months of quality living. We went in 2 weeks ago to have fluid drained as her abdomen was quite distended and were surprised that there was only about 50 millilitres of fluid. The distension we were told was due to gas. She has very loose bowells, a very tender abdomen and pressure which is only releived after going to the toilet. The problem is that she can sit on the toilet for 20 munutes and strain even then to have liquid motions.

How can we get rid of all the gas to give her some comfort? Charcoal tablets have been suggested by a friend also a bowell cleanser from the health food store to really clean her out. She is not taking any medication other than a herbal tea ( supposedly anti - malignancy potion) which we hope is what is stopping the fluid building up. Even if it is doing nothing it is giving her something to take. The problem is the gas/wind. She is still relatively fit and active - gardening / riding her bike etc..... so we have been lucky in that respect.

Can anyone suggest what we can do?
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
117289 tn?1391712825
You and your mom are in my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
So sorry that your mom is going through all of this; I hope that she proves the doctors wrong and lives another 20 years.
Due to all of the pain meds I take I had a terrible time going to the bathroom and I tried every over the counter pill/liquid I could find and nothing worked.  I searched online and found a company ghchealth.com that sells all natural cleansers & such. I take Oxypowder 3 tabs every nite & no problems every morning (and it doesn't cause stomach cramps like alot of otc meds do). For the first time in my life I have been regular and couldn't be happier. It's a bit pricey but well worth it. Hugs to you & your mom.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.