Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Mary 53 or anyone--Question about HRT

I've tried to do a little research by going back into the archieves but I'm starting to get confused so I hope it's ok that I ask the question.  Here's a bit of background:  I have 3c ovca and had the debulking surgery July 05 followed by the standard taxol/carbo chemo which ended Nov 05.  My hormone depletion symptoms started in earnest earlier this year with uncomfortable hot flashes and terrible sleep problems.  My oncologist has flatly stated that I cannot take any HRT because of my disease.  Obviously I don't want to do anything that will tempt a recurrence but I am miserable with these symptoms.  And I don't feel like I can discuss this anymore with my onc.  He is very skilled at what he does but I sometimes think he would rather blow me off than try to help me in this area.

What, if any, are my options?  If I have to, I will try to live with this but if there's anything that might be helpful, I'd like to know about it.  After living through chemotherapy, you'd think this would be "small potatoes" and I suppose in the big picture it is but quality of life is important to me.  I sure would appreciate any advice.

Thanks, Christa
15 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
137539 tn?1344379928
Mary 553 made a comment a few threads back about bioidentical hormones Dn't know if something like that will help But ask the doc I googled the words bioidentical hormones and got this link to women to women.  Site appears to have a lot of info regarding HRT.  It's worth a look anyway

http://www.womentowomen.com/bioidentical-hrt/bioidenticalhormones.asp
Helpful - 0
106886 tn?1281291572
Hi Christa,

Say, you may have done this already, but check out the thread to which I have been most recently responding. It is just a few lines down and it was new yesterday, I think, and it was started by Tybear. It is a question about estrogen (HRT) and weight gain. You will see it. Even though your doctor will not have you on HRT (I personally think that is something you want to avoid, too) that (in my opinion) does not mean that the door should be shut to you actually being on a balance of estrogen (not HRT, which is actually a drug and not a hormone...talk about confusion, right?) and progesterone.

In an ideal world, more doctors would know about these things..but, the hormones I use cannot be patented so there is not the wide-spread information out there unless the doctor you use has a lot of info on them. But, please see the post I wrote and also the one I refenced in the Tybear thread that is from another forum... I discuss progesterone vs. progestin. I have been writting so much since yesterday that I am getting confused about what I wrote where!!!

I suggest you print the material so you can go over it and digest it. That helped me and some of the women here do that, too. I will post later to make sure you have the names of at least two books that really have been helpful to me through all of  this. And, although you will see in my recent post on the Tybear thread that I still have some frustrations I am trying to work out as I continue to stay on top of the hormone situation (mainly urinary issues at this time), I do give much much credit to the bioidentical hormones for giving me a quality of life that I was desparately missing after my surgery in 2000.

I will check in later. Nice to hear from you.

Mary
Helpful - 0
106886 tn?1281291572
That is an excellent website. It was started by my favorite author on all this stuff. Christiane Northrup, MD (who has her own website now, too. but founded "Women to Women) wrote the book that pulled it all together for me. I still pick up the book about twice a month for evening reading (exciting life, I know)...but, the book is "The Wisdom of Menopause." Great great great book. Addresses bioidentical hormones/cancer issues, too.

Uzzi Reiss, MD also does a great job. Someone recently found his website (I love his book on Natural Hormonal Therapy) and said there is an awesome interview on the site. He apparently is Katie Couric's doctor, just as a little tidbit.
----------------
Say.......I have a question. Does anyone know how I can get back the capital "M" in my name. Recently after I had not posted for a few days, and Med Help asked me for my name and password again when I posted one day. I must have typed my name in wrong. It comes up without the capital M now unless someone types in my name if they have a question.

Gosh...this is starting to sound really picky, but I just prefer to keep the capital "M" as it was this past year on this site. I don't want to have to re-register. Any thoughts or should I let this go?

Mary
Helpful - 0
106886 tn?1281291572
Christa, I found the post on the hysterectomy forum on Medhelp that I wanted you to see (print this one for sure... it is long). The thread was started by someone named Justonejb and it was started on 05/21/06 unless my memory is playing tricks on me...

Let me know if you cannot find it. If you have not visited that forum before (again, it is on this website but a different forum...some people confuse it with "hystersisters") it might look different to you, it has a moderator and is not strictly patient to patient...but, you'll find it.

Mary
Helpful - 0
Hi Ladies,
Hope you are all keeping well. Whilst we are on the topic of hormones could anybody please give me any information they have on oestregen implants. This is because during my next surgery they are going to implant oestregen rods into my tummy. I think you get the implants changed every few months. Any information would be most welcome, with many thanks,
Mariah X
Helpful - 0
Thank you so much for your prompt response.  Painterlady, too.  I need to get going to church but will print out your suggestions when I get back.  I know there is a wealth of information out there; it's just difficult to know what's of value.  This will give me a good start!

Christa
Helpful - 0
135691 tn?1271097123
I too, was diagnosed with IIIc Ovarian cancer and my Oncologist was the one who prescribed the estrogen replacement! I just questioned him again about this (because, naturally I'm scared of a recurrance too) and he assured me that I'll be ok. I am trying to get myself down to the lowest possible dose I can comfortably manage, but I hear you about the quality of life. I am miserable. No one understands this, because according to them, I should be so happy to be alive that nothing else should really matter. Yeah right! I plan on living many, many more years, and I cringe at the thought that I will have to live it like this. I remember telling someone that for all the medical advances they have made in the world, I simply cannot believe that someone has not figured out all this hormone ****! I don't know what to attribute my mood swings, depression and general sadness too - my Premarin (all side effects) or actual depression. I don't want to take an anti-depressant if I'm not really depressed, just hormonally challenged. How do I figure this out BEFORE I lose my mind??
Helpful - 0
This is Dr. Uzzi Reiss's web site:

http://www.uzzireissmd.com/

Tybear, why are you on Premarin?  PLEASE research this and discuss it with your doctor.  Mary (now mary53) will tell you more...

Helpful - 0

This is an excellent interview with Dr. Reiss on CBS.  It is well worth the read.

http://www.cbs.com/cbs_cares/menopause/menopause_interview_uzzi.shtml
Helpful - 0
135691 tn?1271097123
I'm on Premarin to reduce the effects of surgical menopause. I'm 27 and too young to be going through any of this! (well, as far as I'm concerned anyways!) I am very happy on Premarin - IF my mood swings and irritability aren't being caused by it. I know what it's made of and how they get it, but I haven't been offered any alternatives for estrogen at this point.
Helpful - 0
Right, I understand why you would be on some form of hormone replacement, I just wondered why he put you specifically on Premarin.  I don't want to say something I shouldn't, but, from what I have read, I think there might be better and safer things than Premarin. (I experienced surgical menopause too).
Yes, you sure are young, I am sorry you are going through this..
Best wishes, Katie
Helpful - 0
135691 tn?1271097123
Sorry, I guess that's why all of us who are on some form of HRT are on it in the first place, right?(duh to me!) I was on a generic form of conjugated estrogen (C.E.S.) and I was having problems with it. I had heard other women talking about Premarin and asked my Dr to switch me to it and within 3 days I felt so much better. Less edgy, moody and less anxiety. I also lowered my dosage though, so who's to know it my relief came from that or the brand switch. What other types of Estrogen are available to me that would offer me the same benefits without some of the risks? (I have to admit, it's more than a little scary to read that one of the rare side effects is ovarian cancer - hmmmm? why did my Dr prescribe this again?!)
Helpful - 0
Hi again Kiddo, I would suggest you start with checking out the Dr. Reiss sites that are just above here  (I need an arrow pointing up!)  Mary is better at explaining all this!  Search around the threads and you will find some of her posts regarding this.  I'll check back later, I think my dogs are stealing my dinner that I left on the stove!!!
Love Katie
Helpful - 0
Hi Tybear, you are younger than my own daughter.  I am so sorry you are going through all of this at your young age, although I wish none of us had to go through it.  It's interesting that your doctor is allowing you to be on a low dose of HRT.  I suppose there must be different schools of thought on this.  I think my onc must think that because I'm 52 that I should just accept this as part of my life now and be thankful that I'm still around.  I really believe there are a few men out there that simply have no concept of what we are going through!
Helpful - 0
106886 tn?1281291572
Here Here. I am 53. I have many good years left. I need to function...optimally. I hope that the way we are paving will be helpful to our daughters. It just has to be.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.