Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Alternative treatments

I have stage 3c ovarian cancer and underwent IP therapy.  When my abdominal port was removed the doctor found the cancer had spread while I was undergoing chemotherapy.  I am now seeing a Naturapathic doctor in addition to my Oncologist.  I'm on a strict vegan diet and taking 13 different supplements.  I want to know if anyone has had any success with this type of approach.  Thanks.
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thank you Mickey Vicky and English Rose for your responses.  I will let you know how I get on.  As far as my IP treatment goes, I started on 3 rounds of Carbo/Taxol and then switched to IP and had three rounds of that (with 3 hour taxol IV rather that the 24hr used in the studies).  I got along pretty well for the first two, I just didn't have any energy at all for about 5 days after but I wasn't sick or suffering.  The third round caused some abdominal pain and I threw up once.  Since I'd already done three rounds of regular chemo, the doctor didn't recommend any more than 3 of IP.  It wasn't terrible but I was glad to be done with it.  The bad thing is for me it didn't work.  The cancer grew while I was on it.  I'm 39 years old and in good health otherwise so I don't know if that made a difference with the IP.  Thanks again.
Helpful - 0
Hi Violet my wife has been supplimenting her chemo with an Indian herbal 'cure' called Carctol, she says it has made her feel alot better in herself, even if it not the 'cure' self feeling is what matters, web site is http://www.carctolusa.com/contactus_processor.php good luck. Her Hubbie Steve
Helpful - 0
sorry that website is www.quackwatch.org

x x
Helpful - 0
Dear Beansprout, I think this is a complicated area! Having taken an interest in Alternative & health issues for many years, my conclusions are that there are helpful things, & then there are dodgy, flaky downright criminal things & when we are desperate it is doubly hard to differentiate. I think diet can certaintly help, but I know of cases where it hasn't ( one gerson, one vegan ), & have heard of people who think it did.  I think a largley or entirley vegan diet is a good idea, providing care is taken over any nutritional needs. I think freshly extracted fruit & veg juices are very good for you - there is more convincing research all the time on the phytochemicals therin. Regarding suplements, there are good cases to be made (& by this I mean there are reputable scientific studies) for ginger, tumeric, cruciferous veg, that stuff outta cooked tomatoes (forget the name!) both in fresh & suplement form. Also flax oil, omega 3's. There is a good argument on milk & dairy being detrimental because it is very stimulating to the hormones. Soy I hear isn't so great, I assume for the same reasons. Don't really know about that one, but I must find out. Shame I reallly love soy milk! (wierd).
Also heard vit D has good anti cancer protective effects for oc, though the dosage must not be too high (& it's in fish oil too, if that is taken).

I think it is good to do what you can to reduce your cemical load - natural cleaning products & toiletries. You need to be able to understand ingredients listings because a lot of things claiming to be natural aint. talc is thought possibly to have links with oc, so I guess cosmetic powders containing it aren't the best idea. Oh & i think organic produce is best.

I think that a lot of alternative practitioners are irrational & ignorant, some well meaning & some on a power trip. Note that I  say 'a lot' and NOT ALL. When all is said & done I think you have to think for yourself & do what feels right for you.

I think there is a danger in all of this of being afraid of the food we eat.

I think there is some dangerous stuff spouted about positive thinking - Yes it is important, but I have heard people state the idea that if you don't get well it is your fault because you didn't do the right things/think positivley enough. This can be a subtext in alternative circles & elsewhere & it makes me murderously angry! I call it primitive magic thinking.  I think, if you get a cancer dx, yes, be positive, be pro-active, but sometimes it is good to rage, vent etc...

You know I do think some alternative stuff is good ( actually I hate that term), but I wish it was conducted with a bit more intelectual & scientific rigor. I also wish that 'alt' & 'conventional' medicine were speaking to one another!

A useful uk website is www.quackwatch.co.uk. Has info on some alternative scams.

Good Luck! be interesting to hear how you get on!

love x x x x
Helpful - 0
I suppose it depends on how you define success.  I have known friends and family with chronic illnesses who have used naturopathic medicine and specialized diets to complement traditional treatments.  Most all of them have stated that the additional, 'natural'  treatments helped alleviate symptoms and/or side effects.  

Was the IP the only chemotherapy treatment that you received?  How were the side effects of the IP chemotherapy?  Given the recent reports on the benefits of IP in conjuction with traditional chemotherapy, I am curious about your experiences.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.