Aa
A
A
A
Close
140437 tn?1215109742

Scoutshadow

Are you having a laparotomy too?

IF you dont mind me asking what hospital are you going to, I am at the great western in swindon. Ill get them to wheel the dodgy phone in so we can moan about the pain box not being replenished often enough LMFAO!

I think me, you and English-rose should meet up when we are all better. I intend to make some noise about Ovarian cancer awareness!

Anna x
11 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I've just come across this one - hadn't read it before! I am 'only' a cyster at this stage (and may it long remain so!!!!!!!), but I am 'elderly' (post menopausal)and live in the UK. Raising awareness fine! Showing my body in a bikini - you must all be out of your heads!!!!!!!!!I will inflict that on no-one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Running a marathon? Ditto, ditto ditto!!!!! I do traditional egyptian dancing (sort of belly dancing without revealing belly and gentler, softer and great fun!). What about dancing along a sea front or two, or through Central London or something.....................
Helpful - 0
I like the idea of doing something for oc awareness - but the London marathon!?  don't you know running gives you wrinkles & saggy boobs? ha ha. I think after full lap it would be a long time before a marrathon was possible. What about rollerblading the course in bikinis? (god please do not say this is a good idea). there might be something...
Helpful - 0
140437 tn?1215109742
Scoatshadow - my scar is going to be huge too they have to go way over my belly button. I have decided to wear it with pride!

Gatsby, I will insist on anual pelvic exams after this - assuming the outcome is ok (touching wood)

We need to shout from the rooftops about this!

Anna x
Helpful - 0
Thanks for that Sue.  That puts my mind at ease.

Ursula
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
The more we scream about ovca the more women will hear us!!  I have a 13 year old daughter and I want her to be armed with every bit of info she can have about this.  Although I was not dx with ovca, I did have two very large dermoids removed 12/21/05.  Prior to getting the pathology on them, We did not know if it was ovca or not.  I personally think that transvag ultra sounds should be part of the yearly exam.  That is something I am pushing for!  Good luck and keep getting the word out.
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Ursula
My scar starts about an inch above my belly button and goes down to just above my front garden!(pubic hair).Had the op  18 months ago and its just a very fine white line now-you can barely see it.After the stitches came out I used Aqeous cream-you can get it from any chemists,I think thats why theres no scar tissue or anything its all very neat and smooth.
Sue x
Helpful - 0
Tascha~
I agree with you! Though my pathology came back negative for ovca (endometriosis instead), I think the TVUS should be part of the exams. I had all the normal PAP smears, palpations, poking and prodding, and honestly didn't feel any problems during them. Neither did my gyn... no pain, no abnormal results, etc. Only was able to see what was going on with TVUS.
Luckily I have an insurance co that's really good, because I'm insisting on one every 6 months!
~Marianne
Helpful - 0
If only I could get over there! *sigh* But travel will have to wait for years until college loans are paid off.... *another big sigh*
I know there's women close to my area, and I know some others are also close (ie. Lex and livertrans)..
Maybe there's something we could arrange in certain areas to meet and do something?
I'm in central KY, in Lexington. I know gah_70 is in western KY...anyone else? Or in the Cinci/lower OH or south Indiana areas?
~Marianne
Helpful - 0
Cervical smear tests have been shown to work!  Annual scans will definately lead to healthier women.

Ovarian cancer is the most common cancer of the reproductive system.

Yearly exams can only mean one thing - less deaths and less invasive and extensive surgery.

I know I owe it to my daughters to make them more aware and proactive.  I read a lovely poster on the Australian ovacome site about a 13 year old girl whose mum had the presence of mind to take her pelvic pains seriously.  She had a cancerous tumour removed and following further surgery was left with a quarter of an ovary.  Years down the line she is now the proud mother of two children.  Heartwarming.

Perhaps we could all meet up in a run for ovarian awareness - will we be fit enought for the London Marathon?
Helpful - 0
Hi to you both,

Yes I'm having a laparotomy.  Removal of ovary, tube, total hysterectomy and omentectomy for treatment of complex ovarian mass.  Yikes!  I'm so scared. I can't sleep properly (just preparing myself for surgical menopause).  I guess I will be pretty much out of it for a few days after because I intend to take everything that is offered!.

I'm going to Wythenshawe, South Manchester which is about 30miles from where I live.

I would love to meet up after.  I'm bringing a diary into hospital and am going to write about my experiences. The hand writing might be a bit scrawly!

Yes ovarian awareness is needed. If I'd known that down the line I would be facing this, then I would have had my ovary removed after the completion of my family.  It is something that needs to be considered by younger women undergoing fertility sparing operations.

I've just been googling about the size of my scar with an omentectomy.  I'm getting a little frightened now.  Have to stop or will go mad.  Actually something to ask my doctor when I see him on Friday.

Ursula
Helpful - 0
UK Cysters get together - great idea!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.