Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Can't handle the taxol

Hi cysters, am at the end of my tether now, am on the second cycle of taxol and have been fighting these symptoms. CAN'T DO IT ANYMORE!!! Have tried, the dose has been adjusted, I have been given medicine to counteract the symptoms but no good, - I am falling  apart, have been since friday. Normally I am such a  positive and strong person. Can't go through another 4 cycles like this. NO WAY!!!
Want to be back to normal.
22 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
To me peraonally, the Dexamethasone is the worst!!!
Helpful - 0
Shen, this answer is by no means 'complete' as I am dreadfully short of time...but to give you an idea of my concerns:

Dexamethasone alone includes among its many side effects and symptoms of use such conditions as headache, migraine headache (which would account for your scalp aching, if indeed you are reacting to this drug), hives, swelling, rashes (especially purple rashes,)  heavy sweating, as well as numbness and tingling.  Shortness of breath is probably on the list, but I do not recall at the moment.  These are the reasons  why I asked which meds you were taking.

You should talk with the doctor, and have a list with you of the symptoms that you have, along with some notes on when you suffer these symptoms.  It would be a terrible shame to stop a treatment regimen if the worst symptoms are from the adjunct drugs and not the treatment itself!
Helpful - 0
Thanks for that.
Michyvicki, thanks for asking.
The medication prescribed on this cycle is:
paclitaxel 196mg (reduced from 245mg on the first cycle because of the symptoms)
carboplatin 550mg
the iv premeds were:
granisetron 1mg
piriton 10mg
gwsetidine 300mg
domperidone 20mg (oral)

The meds that I am taking are:
dexamethadone for sickness
zoton fastab - (lansoprazole 30mg)soluble one a day for the indigestion / heartburn
cetirizine hydrochloride 10mg - for the iching one a day
I have stopped taking these apart from the dexamethasone which i restarted last night after omitting taking after 2 days.

Today I feel better, the sensitive pain all over my head on my scalp and the soreness has subsided.
Had a very heavy sweaty head last night. Maybe all the toxins needed to escape - DONT KNOW.
Feel relieve and peace right now.
Feel human and less like an animal in a cage having drug tests.
Thanks again for your concern.
Peace.
Shen.

Helpful - 0
135691 tn?1271097123
Hi there... so sorry I missed this post as well. I completed chemo in February this year and can understand what you are going through. I can't add too much that already hasn't been said, but just know that you don't have to suffer. There are so many meds out there, that if one doesn't work, the Dr can and will find another. I know for me, I usually felt the worse for the first 4 days after my chemo, and after that would actually feel pretty normal. I'm glad you have your appetite back - keep up your strength and prepare for your next battle. One down, 5 to go. Pretty soon, you'll be halfway through. You can do this - we are all here to help.
Becky
Helpful - 0
hi tellme we too are in the uk, my mum had to come off of taxol on the 2nd/3rd round of chemo, they stopped it completely and she just has carbo which they said has worked just as well on its own, so hopefully they will drop the taxol for you too. i hope you are feeling bit better today, my thoughts are with you x
Helpful - 0
(I am sorry that I missed this thread yesterday. All this discussion about who does and does not have cancer, as well as who does or does not have any business  posting on this forum kept me off this thread.  However, I see that I might be able to add some insight anyway....)

Shen,  which additional medications are you being given with the chemotherapy, or are you taking at home?  I ask because some of the reactions that you are describing here sound more like reactions to THESE medications than to the chemotherapy itself.

For example, you describe rashes and bumps on your scalp. These symptoms are not uncommon symptoms of some medications prescribed or provided to combat nausea and vomiting.   And in sensitive people, the problem is further aggravated by exposure to sunlight.   The Benadryl mentioned above (by Dian07, most likely) can help some people immensely with some of these reactions.  In the US, Benadryl is a trademark name for the drug Diphenhydramine HCL; I have no remembrance of whether I saw it in England nor what it was called if I did.  Talk to your doctor about the severity of your symptoms.  He or she has ordered the Taxol treatment as it is deemed the most effective for your situation.  If you can just get the help you need to hold on for more of the treatment....
Helpful - 0
Dear Rebel Spirit, Aquinnah, Wubbie3, Dian 07, Nat2, Kathy o, Suez, RAS 49, Barney 22, Thuney, Gah_20, and everyone else who has been incredibly kind and thoughful since I came on this truly amazing site of beautiful, kind people, I THANK YOU. How I stubbled on this I never know.... Today is a much better day..I called the hospital yesterday and vented all my anxiety, took some dexter, and ate a fillet of fish macckie with chips (something I never do!!) and went for a drive to see my family. Woke this mornng with hubby at 4.45am ( he goes off personally training people),felt good enough to make a breakfast for us of porridge with bran, and a large omelette with onions and cherry tomatoes, yumm!!  Have got some of my appetite back. Yes it is a one day by day process and I fell into the quagmire yesterday. Still feel emotional, more so that I cant believe there is such caring people like yourself in the www who I have never met....
I am still not sure about the next cycle - enjoying this moment of relieve and peace, I think I am ascending to the happier peaks, ( second week???) so I will postpone all thoughts until I have chatted with the medical team. Will try to arrange my complementary aromatherapy massage for this afternoon, make myself feel good. Good advice, I will stick to the anti sick tablets a little longer. Thanks for the offer of doing my shopping Nat2 - what a trouper!!! and also once again thannks for ALL the kind words of advice and support. Anyway its now 6.55am in Sudbury, Middlesex, United Kingdom and I think I will GO TO SLEEP , LOVYA LOTS.
Peace and love to you all.
You are special.
Shen
x
Helpful - 0
I wanted to  tell you about the heartburn I was prescribed Zanax and I only had to take one every 12 hours, this totally stopped the heartburn and indegestion too, the generic name for it RANITIDINE 150mg tabs. I only had to take this for maybe a week after each Chemo.
Helpful - 0
Where are you...maybe one of us is near..within driving distance.
Like Rebel , I was given benadryl by IV prior to my chemo....not only did it prevent itching and bumps, it also helped take the edge off the situation.  Have you found a compounding pharmacilst who can fix you up with a cream that prevents or immediately eliminates nausea?  I slept an awful lot  just as you are, however, my pharmacist worked wonders when it came to diahrea and nausea....I was given a plethera of meds prior to the chemo to prevent nausea and stomach distress...I also took, and continue to take, an antidepressant. I feel helpless here.....what can we do to help?  On some level you know you can and will do this...you can do it.....it is a real nightmare right now but it will end...all you can do is take it day by day ....try not to worry about  tomorrow....you can deal with this moment....that is enough to have on your plate.   Are you taking something to help you sleep at night.....I did, I also took meds for the joint pains I had....without the pain med I was unable to sleep even with the sleeping pills.....don't suffer in silence....make certain your medical team knows what you are experiencing......please do stay in touch .....I would do anything to help and I know everyone else feels the same......
my heart is with you.
Peace.
dian
Helpful - 0
HI,
I am so sorry you are having such a reaction like this. I am allergic to Taxol and this was handled by taking extra steroids
(lots) to overcome the reaction. My reaction certainly was NOT nearly as severe as yours. I am sure that you are getting all the pre- meds including steriods ((dexamethasone) benedryl, zanax, and nausea, a new one is e-mend only three pills and not really any constipation for me. Zolfran also. I too could not even drink water for a couple of days tasted so bad... They keep asking me about the numbness but it is staying confined to tips of toes and fingers, there are meds for this too. I can say as brutal as the treatment is I feel pretty good now. You are so having so many side effects that I have not experienced and I can understand how hard it is to continue, I too have thought about quitting but somehow by the grace of God, family and friends I pull through it. I don't know how many treatments you have left but I will be thinking and praying for you.
kathy
Helpful - 0
I'm so sorry that you are having such terrible side effects - I can't imagine what that must be like.  Have you decided to stop the chemo?  I'm thinking of you and hoping that you are able to cope with the second round a little better or at least that the symptoms ease up a bit.  You know that I'm in London so if you do need any help or support with anything - even if it is groceries I'm more that willing to help. Know we will get in trouble sharing contact details on-line but I could get hold of you through your hospital if you do decide to take me up on my offer.
Helpful - 0
If you can stand one more cycle ie 3 in total, they might be keener on omitting the taxol and just giving you carboplatin for the last 3 - that's what i've had this time.  My oncologist at UCLH said there is now quite a lot of evidence that carbo on its own does just as well.  Sorry it's going so badly - I feel for you.  Jenny
Helpful - 0
A BIG BIG THANKYOU FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT ADVICE AND KIND WORDS - THERE IS SO MUCH HERE FOR ME TO DIGEST - WILL HAVE TO GO THROUGH THIS ALL AGAIN - i am so grateful and humbled. I thought I was strong but I think because I went through chemo 20 yrs ago I am finding it hard to be that strong person again. To go through all these horrific symptoms that many of you have gone through and still carry on cycle after cycle, just amazes me, what keeps you going - how do you do it?????????????
Helpful - 0
To repeat everyone else here, you are not whining!!  My brother was always deathly sick the first three days after his chemo to the point that he swore he wouldn't go back.  He was given compazine which helped some.
Helpful - 0
107366 tn?1305680375
COMMUNITY LEADER
First of all, you are not whinging (my Australian hubby uses that term, too).  But even if you are, you have every right to do so.  Chemo, plain and simple, sucks!  This is one of those issues where you have to look at quality vs. quantity.  If the taxol hurts too much, then you really do need to talk to your doctor about it.  I, too, had benedryl and aloxi before each treatment to help with the reaction.  I also took a steroid for five days after each treatment.  I took pills to help me sleep, and like Dian, I am still on an antidepressant that I started while on chemo.  I had no appetite, so my doc prescribed Marinol, a synthetic form of marijuana to boost my appetite.  It really is important that you eat.  Do you like eggs?  I've said this on the forum before, so excuse me if I am repeating myself to you, but eggs are an excellent source of protein, and you can eat a lot of them and not feel stuffed.  Since nothing tastes right, I ate them the "scientific" way....I held my nose and swallowed. :)  

Dont ever doubt that you are a strong person.  You are facing this head-on, and that's the important part.  If coming here to vent helps you, then by all means, vent away!  You know we'll always give you support.  

I am so glad you came back to post that you are feeling better.  I believe you can do this, too.  Chemo can bring you to your knees, but you can, and will eventually get up again.  Prayers and well wishes going out to you!

Gail :)
Helpful - 0
I had a bad allergic reaction each time the Taxol was administered , first 2 treatments,  and all the same side effects you mention.  As the others have said, the pre-meds help.  My doctor increased the pre-meds I was given in the IV before the chemo, gave me 26 pills (more pre-meds) to take the day before my chemo, and then diluted the Taxol more/ slowed the rate.  All of this helped.  My last treatment was a breeze- only a bit of nausea, no more itching, etc.  If the Taxol does not work, my doctor mentioned an alternative- unfortunately I don't recall the name- it also began with a "t".  Talk to your oncologist.  Hope you work this out, my dear.
Helpful - 0
Hi Tellme,
Will they let you drop the Taxol and just have the Carboplatin?
I took both for the 6 cycles and my 3rd cycle was like yours-I'd have been quite happy to die that week! When I saw my oncologist before the next cycle she increased my Dexamethasone and Kytril,which helped with the nausea and the rash I had-she figured that was down to my hot flushes,sweaty everything,and a reaction to the taxol.Thankgoodness for my hubby who wiped away the tears and calmed me down,but another two ladies I was having chemo with at the same time,both stage 3c,same as me dropped the Taxol,one after the first cycle and the other after the second and just had Carboplatin for the remaining cycles.They are still in remission and I'm not-so don't worry about dropping it.Talk it over with your Oncologist before your next cycle.
Loads of love,Sue x
Helpful - 0
I feel like I am whinging. I have had indigestion and heartburn, itching, my hair has fallen out an now I have bumps spots and and rash all over my head that is sore. My toes, feet and fingers are numb. I can't drink water, feel sick. Feel tired all the time and very short of breath. Have  been sleeping most of the time to switch off and have been very emotional, crying most of the time. I feel constantly like food is stuck in my throat. I had diahhorea sat and sun making it difficult to eat or drink. I have had poundng headaches on the last cycle with swollen feet and hands, so I have that to look forward to next week.. Surely a person can't be expected to go through all these symptoms. They adjusted my dose but I still feel helpless. Have you been experiencing the same? You must be so strong to have done five.......I really am not going to..I have decided....
Helpful - 0
Girl, I hear you. I have been really knocked down by the taxol too. I've had 5 rounds. What symptoms exactly are you having? I'll be glad to share what has and hasn't worked for me.
Helpful - 0
You are not whining! There is no such thing as whining when you have to go through what you are going through right now!
Remember, we're all here for you, no matter what any of our diagnoses were... Sending you a cyber **Hug**
If there's anything we can do, just name it.
~Marianne
Helpful - 0
First of all, you are not whining!!! You are displaying very real side effects and asking for help. First for the itching and rash, I get Benadryl in the IV before they give me the chemo. If they are not giving you that, insist on it. Take more after you get home. I also went through the emotions. Ask for an antidepressant. For the nausea, I have been taking a combo of Zofran and Compazine. The knot in your throat is part of the nausea. When I can't drink water, I drink ginger ale. I have to drink it at room temp, not cold. Hope this helps. If you want to contact me directly, my email is ***@****.
Helpful - 0
Dear tellme

I haven't had your experiences, but I do feel for you! Can't do more than think of you.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.