Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Complex Ovarian Cyst

I am a 21 year old who was just told that the pain in my left side is what is called a "cpmplex hemorraging ovarian cyst". Unfortunately, I can not seem to find ANY info on this. I have asked my doctor what we should do, and she says the plan of action is to "wait and see" if it gets worse or not. I have always heard that early detection is the best way to prevent cancer. I may be over-reacting... or maybe not. I know I am young to be worried about cancer, but still... HELP!!
20 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
118225 tn?1278654940
Hi Nikki,
I dont post here very much, i usually come here every day and read though, this site helped me out when i went through what ur going through.  I am 24, last september, i woke up at 4 am with HORRIBLE mind numbing pain, i had been expeirncing dull pain on my left side a few weeks before this and wrote it off, well this pain was so bad i went to the ER....had an ultrasound, showed 4cm complex cyst or cystic mass on left ovary, went to GYN, same thing wait and watchg...a follow up US 6 weeks later showed it had resolved.  Then in January, same excrutianting pain, went to the ER 3 cm complex cyst on left ovary, another 6 weeks went by, and it was gone...they were diagnosed as memorhaggic cysts, i think i might be prone to them..even though i am on BC pills and was a few months before this all started..my dr said if itcontinues they are going to put me on a higher dose. I know how you feel though about waiting, when this first happened, i went to the dr like 2 days in a row sick with worry demadning they take my ovary out for fear of cancer, but at our agem with no family history, you will be hard pressed to find a doc who will do that.  Just give it time the odds are in your favor that it will all be ok, the waiting is the hardest part.  I actually ended up going on anti anxiety meds and it helped a lot....i know this is long, let me know if you have any ????'s.
Take care
Toni
Helpful - 0
Re-sect means to remove the cyst from the ovary surgically without taking the ovary and tube out with it.

Linda
Helpful - 0
118225 tn?1278654940
this is just a test, i dont see my posting on here...seeing if this goes through!
Helpful - 0
118225 tn?1278654940
well for me...after the beginning of the rupture, i was in pain for a few days after that, but then i felt normal....i guess after the cysts had completely resolved, so i wasnt in pain for the full six weeks.  So u have had your cyst for 3 months, how many ultrasounds have you had? did it stay the same?
Helpful - 0
I have had two, and the third is tomorrow. From the first to second u/s it grew, but they were hoping it would shrink. Did you have to pee all the time? I know that sounds silly, but i feel PREGNANT... which is what I thought at first.
Helpful - 0
118225 tn?1278654940
yeah my first cyst i totally thought i was pregnant before i knew i had it.  I even took a test, peeing A LOT  and sometimes i would feel nauseous....it just sux, because most symptoms for everything gyno are about the same so you never know whatcha have!!!!!  LOL  so ur US is tomorrow? dont forget to drink all your water!!!!!  Thats always the worst part for me, 32 oz of water and no bathroom UGH!
Helpful - 0
Cruel and unusual punishment by the gyn!!! I know!!! N then they want to push on you!! Ugh
Helpful - 0
I thought that a complex cyst was the same thing as a tumor, and that they can be cancerous...?
Helpful - 0
I totally forgot i suppose and important detail... Its been 3 months since the pain started....
Helpful - 0
Thanks! That makes me feel better :)
Helpful - 0
Yeah, they have me on 5 different pain meds (i was out of work for a week doubling over in pain) and they just want me to wait for another month for a 3rd u/s to see if its gone down at all
Helpful - 0
My major concern~ I am 21... that means (at least for me) I have no kids.... BUT really would like to have some in the near future... I want to make sure that with the surgery, it will not complicate getting pregnant at all. Have you heard that it will/wont hurt getting pregnant? I would almost rather be in pain than not have kids. AHH! This is very overwhelming!!
Helpful - 0
What happened to your posts to me??
Helpful - 0
That's a very good question. Looks like liberal censorship is alive and well in the good ol' USA. Here I was thinking we were having a nice, normal conversation and you can't even read what I write.

In surgery, they usually don't have to take the ovary, they can usually re-sect the cyst off the surgery. How large is your cyst? Did they take measurements? There are lots of women here that have gone on to have kids after the surgery so don't let that scare you.

Linda
Helpful - 0
Umm, i cant remember how big the cyst is... i know that it is not HUGE or my doc wouldve made a bigger deal about it. I suppose, if this makes sense, that it hurts so much, that is the part that scares me.

Re-sect? what does that mean?
Helpful - 0
I believe what happened is MEDHELP came on an did a blanket delete of all my posts, including the one where I asked for help regarding the shoulder pains that sometimes arise after the surgery I'm having. Good thing I have a good memory, huh?
Helpful - 0
I kinda remember everything you said before :)
Helpful - 0
:) It really sounds like we are very in common... thanks a bunch for kind words. I am also on bc and thought that was strange as well, but oh well. Im hoping mine goes away too. How long was it before yours went away? its been 3 months ive had this one...??
Helpful - 0
118225 tn?1278654940
Hey nikki...not sure exactly how long i had the cyst before it went away, because i dont know how long i had it before i got it diagnosed, but it was gone 6 weeks after diagnosis, but i think thats because it started to rupture when i went to the er...thats what the huge pain was, a cyst rupturing is horrible pain, i have kids i can tell you its like having contractions only long and constant.  the ultrasound showed some fluid around it which indicated it was probably slowly rupturing(leaking)...so 6 weeks after it started rupturing it wenbt away, does that make sense?
Helpful - 0
Yes! It absolutely does! My friends are all making fun of me and calling the pain "contractions"... because usually they last for about 5 minutes, and when it comes, the pain is about every 7 minutes :/ HOw did you deal with the pain for 6 wks? I know its not that long to some... but its AWEFUL! They have me on pain meds, but they dont really work so well...
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.