Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
143952 tn?1237864541

non-visualization of ovaries in postmenopausal woman/pelvic pain

Hi again -  I just found out my second ultrasound (pelvic) once again did not show my ovaries.  I do have pelvic fluid and some general right-sided pelvic pain.  I don't know whether or not to be relieved that my ovaries aren't showing...or not!  Has anyone else had this outcome?  Thank you so much!
Susan
15 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I know how that is. I wonder if men spend this much time thinking about their prostate?

Hopefully your biopsy goes well. Take a good dose of motrin prior as it will help with any cramping.

Linda
Helpful - 0
Oh, wait, you're doing a D&C. Never mind :)

Linda
Helpful - 0
143952 tn?1237864541
Isn't that just SO unfair.  Their main concern is prostrate, with fairly simple and accurate testing!  Unfortunately, I can't take much in the way of pain reliever tomorrow.  I have to have a second encoscopy with ultrasound on Thursday afternoon, so no aspirin products until afterwards.  Wah.  Not to mention, no eating or drinking until after a 2pm procedure.  Oh well, I'll be glad to get it all done!  thanks again for your kindness!
Susan
Helpful - 0
I believe it is normal not to see ovaries in post-menopausal women. I think they worry if they do. I hear they go to about raisin size post-menopausally?
Helpful - 0
143952 tn?1237864541
Hi Linda-
Thanks for your kind posting.  Of all the information available on the internet, I couldn't find much one way or the other on this topic!  So nerve-wracking, especially with a GYN who is impossible to reach!

Susan
Helpful - 0
Oh, I know. I did see some journal references to it when I was doing my own research. I know they don't want to feel ovaries or visualize them on post menopausal women. It worries them. They are supposed to atrophy. Isn't that just lovely?
Helpful - 0
143952 tn?1237864541
I guess if that's all that's wrong, I will consider myself truly blessed!    Not fair that everything else seems to enlarge as we women get older!  I'm having a D & C for the purpose of obtaining an endometrial biopsy tomorrow (due to pelvic fluid being seen on US), and all I could think was....what about those ovaries!
Helpful - 0
143952 tn?1237864541
i just got it...it's a D&C in order to do a biopsy.  My cervix is closed - another joy of getting older ha ha!
Helpful - 0
Well, now wait a moment here. Consider where the ultrasound probe GOES with a guy :)  We're at least used to things such as T/V ultrasound. We can get a laugh out of that, can't we :)

I know what you mean about food. Not sure what time my surgery is but if it's 2 or 3, I'll be starving and eating myself up with stomach acid pain. Crazy!

L.
Helpful - 0
Hi there, I just found a great website about the size of ovaries after menopause. It's good they can't find yours, as that is normal!

http://www.drapplebaum.com/menopause.htm

Go down to the section called "ovaries".

Hope this helps.

Linda J
Helpful - 0
143952 tn?1237864541
Hi Again -  Thanks for the info.  I just read it, and it does sound hopeful :)  And as for that ultrasound probe, at least we have the option of "guiding" it.  Doubt the poor guys do!

Do you mind if I ask what type of surgery you're having and when?

Susan
Helpful - 0
143952 tn?1237864541
oops - i just registered that there are two lindas!  thanks to BOTH of you!
Helpful - 0
Hi, I had my surgery in March. I had a benign serous cystadenoma. I lost the left ovary and tube along with it.

Just had a colonoscopy on Friday to rule out any other issues. All was clear.

The other Linda, Linda F,  is having her surgery on Wednesday for a cyst that hasn't resolved.

Linda J
Helpful - 0
143952 tn?1237864541
congrats on the all clear!  and, i'll keep linda f in my thoughts, too!

susan
Helpful - 0
143952 tn?1237864541
I guess I should add....I would sure feel a lot more reassured if I didn't have pain in the area of my right ovary!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.