Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

tvus question

hi, posted here about a month ago and I'm still waiting on surgery.  my question is who is supposed to read tvus? can your regular gynecologist do it or should it be done by radiologist?
I had to strongly request tvus my dr. just wanted to immediatly open and see what was going on I know he read the report and I think he jotted down something to coincide with his belief to get in there and look thank you everyone in advance also I've noticed the disappearance of xray2u
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Good question. My gyno read the ones he did in the office and a radiologist read the one in the ER. John's Hopkins docs felt the radiologist in ER scared me and that's routine since they don't know which patients will actually follow up so they put a scare into you. I think my gyno might be correct about the U/S and what it means HOWEVER I would have preferred the tech there to use more correct terms such as "Complex Cyst, etc. so I could have made my own decision regarding surgery vs. wait-and-see.

Linda
Helpful - 0
I had this type of confusion too. the first gyn who discovered my (then two) cysts, was immediately referring to septations and solid areas. Then looked at me, along with the nurse, with compassion, which scared the hell out of me!!!!!!However, when I saw the gynonc not long after he told me the septations were insignificant - something about how they look if they should be of concern - and he was right: that cyst disappeared of it's own accord pretty quickly. it's the other one, which has no worrying features which hangs in there - apparently it was always larger anyway. So for me: I wish if anything I had seen a gynocn before anyone else - though in the circumstances that couldn't be.
Helpful - 0
132752 tn?1273342273
I had my first set of us read by my regular gyn here at home.  When I went to MSK prior to the April surgery, they redid both us.  When the tech was done with her work, she had a radiologist come in to review them.  Since they consistently had difficulty getting the ovary on film, the radiologist tried on her own.  I was grateful to have her their.  She was efficient, professional AND had great bedside manner.
peace,
Anne
Helpful - 0
All of mine (I had at least 4...can't remember the exact anymore) were read by my gyn, but explained to me as they were happening by the tech doing it. (Their tech is a liscensed ultrasound tech...she's great).
Helpful - 0
I had my TVUS explained to me by the tech (which was in my gyn/onc's office).  Then the gyn/onc came in and they discussed it together in front of me, explaining again as they went.  For my MRI, the doc said the radiologist will interpret it and suggest one treatment (the on that gives the radiology dept at the hospital the most money) and then he (the gyn/onc) will interpret it and offer all the treatments, including the one he most favors FOR ME - might coincide with the one recommended by radiology or might not.
Helpful - 0
Totally off topic...but I was wondering about your screen name.  Curious if you're from Martha's Vineyard or a member of the Wamponaog community...I kept looking at your name and thinking "why do I know that name?"...it's a town on Martha's Vineyard (formerly called GayHead)!  

Too add to the topic at hand.  I had my TVUS read by a radiologist...but it takes over a week for the office to get the results back.  The waiting is not fun.  My GYN doesn't really seem to know what she's looking for...she and the tech looked at mine together (because I was impatient) and they felt confident that the cyst had shrunk...but all final word comes from the radiologist at the hospital.  He did agree that it had shrunk so I avoided surgery.
Helpful - 0
Hi Cysters ..

Yesterday I had my 3rd MRI and for the first time ever ..I was told nothing and I always ask ahead of time because I'm always heading to my Dr.s right after(except for yesterday ,was just being curious) ...asked yesterday and they said they would interpret immediately and when it was time to go ..I was told to see my Doctor for results ..
Now I have had 6 US's and 3 MRI's and everyone has given me immediate results except this last one ..
Well if I wasn't worried before I am now...

I see my Doctor Thursday and she knows not to call me ...last time she did my blood pressure went so high ..she was afraid I was going to have a heat attack ...

well hopefully the techs were just to busy to tell me ..
We'll see Thursday

Nervously waiting ..
Lex
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.