Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
140437 tn?1215109742

polycystic overies

My sister has just phoned me and told me my 15 year old niece has polycystic overies. I know nothing about this condition not a thing. I am so upset because I feel I must have passed on some horrible gene

Anna x
10 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I don't think you've passed this on sweetie.  My best friend has poly-cystic ovaries as well and has been place on a different birthcontrol pill and generic prozac........her symptoms have pretty much disappeared.  She has an occasion twinge around her period, but other than that, the medications seemed to help her immensely.  So, do not fret, I know it's easier said than done, but there is hope and relief for her.  She should feel lucky to have an aunt like you.

Take care,
Shawn
Helpful - 0
She is also lucky it has been discovered so early! (How on earth in a 15 year old??) It is not that uncommon and it as hormonal (I think) not due to other things. And as far as I know treatable.
Helpful - 0
Hello Dear Lady

Please Don't worry ...I have had it since i was 16 and in my time nothing could be done ..Now NOW they  know exactly how to straighten it out...Since everyone is different ..treatment may take a little adjusting  but she will be just fine and now days 90% of the women with it have as many children as they like.
You did nothing to make your niece have this ...it could be an inherent thing but it would be from your grans or great grans ..do believe things mostly skip generations.

Tell her to eat right and stay in shape and she will be A OK..

Takecare ..
Hugs...
Lex

Helpful - 0
Anna:

I have polycystic ovaries and what it does give you is a licence to be difficult -- hormones after all :)

In all seriousness, the most issue it's caused me is missed periods which can be handled by progesterone supplementation every 3 months. Now they are using Metformin as the drug of choice since it's really an insulin regulatory issue and they are finding treating with that drug solves the fertility issue! Even without it, I conceived and had three kids, two by 'accident', one planned. Seemed that if I took the pill for three months, I could conceive very easily over the next month or two.

They know so much about PCOS that they didn't when I was growing up. Because of that, she won't have the cholesterol problems, etc, that's sometimes associated with it. The leading researchers in PCOS is the University of Virginia in Richmond.

Linda
Helpful - 0
140437 tn?1215109742
You really are wonderful ladies god I love you all so much!

Ironically I rang my sister today to tell her about my surgery - boy was she cross I hadn't told her before - and she told me about my neices diagnosis. They told Amy (thats her name) she might not be able to have children. Of course because of whats happening to me I thought I had done this to her I was devestated.

My neice is overweight and also found out she has incredably high blood pressure. I love my sister but I dont feel as though she is going to do enough to find out the facts. You know how some people just kind of dont do anything. I feel awfull saying that i'm just so worried about Amy.

Anna x
Helpful - 0
Hi again..
One thing ..
Now that Amy has been dx she will get treatment and it may help with the weight issue ..
I had to fight all my life to keep the weight off ..because of no help with pco's ..and finally it won out over me because i had so many operations (gained 20to 30 pds.) and then this hormomely inbalance thing kicked in 2yrs ago when i was dx with masses ..and while watching and waiting I gained over 50pds..I know it's the hormomies ..lol cause as Linda put it ..it's liscense to go crazy and when i couldn't shake the weight no matter what i did ..i gave up and had cheesecake ...lol Oh and i might add in last 2 yrs i have a new lover ..his name is chocolate and untill they balance me out again ...I intend to go right on seeing him ...
Big hugs and smiles ..
Lex
Helpful - 0
my first cousin was dx w/ pcos during her year of trying to concieve. after the diagnosis, she was put on metaform(sp) and used clomid/IUI and concieved her baby. She carried her pregnancy fine and delivered a beautiful baby. Good luck to your neice.
Helpful - 0

My friend has PCOS and like Linda she has three kids.  She has struggled with her weight, high blood pressure too.  But she never took clomid (although her friend who had it did).

Luck of the draw I suppose and we all know about that.

Helpful - 0
140437 tn?1215109742
That is sooooooooo helpfull thankyou so much. The hormone issue explains why my neice has really severe superflous hair bless her. All over her back and pretty much everywhere. I cant wait to tell her that that she wont be infertile I will print all this off and give it to her.

Thankyou thankyou

Anna x
Helpful - 0
Adjusting the hormones helps with the hair but laser hair removal is MUCH more immediate and much better.

Linda
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.