Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

help with ultrasound report

Hi - Hoping people can help me understand the report I received from a transvaginal ultrasound.

"The exam demonstrates left adnexal cyst, which appears to be exophytic from the left ovary and measures app. 2.7cm.  It shows no significant internal echotexture. A small hypoechoic focus is also identified within the left ovary.  This measures app. 2.1 cm and may represent a hemorrhagic cyst...."

IMPRESSION: There is a dominant exophytic cyst from the left ovary. There is also a small complex cyst versus solid focus within left ovary.  This is most likely hemorrhagic cyst

Hoping people can help me with the terminology i.e. what does no internal echotexture and small hypoechoic focus mean??

THANKS, Penny
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thanks Mary and Mary V for your responses, and for sharing your expertise.  I really appreciate it!

I am having problems with my Primary in that it took 2.5 weeks to get the ultrasound results and all the Primary said was you need to see a gynecologist. I had to push for a copy of the report. Yes, I realize it is time to look for another doctor....

I will be pursuing with a gyn.  I have been having lower back pain for 6+ months which I assumed was IBS but now I am not sure if it could be cyst related. One cyst was found on a CAT scan done because of swollen lymph nodes. The follow-up ultrasound showed the second cyst as well.

Thanks again for your help....learning helps take the edge off the stress.

Penny

Helpful - 0
108861 tn?1227246048
Hi Penny,
     Too much lingo!  Exophytic means bumping out from while in ultrasonography jargon, hypoechoic is a low acoustic impedance
mismatch that indicates the object you are viewing has a low mass density, in other words, is not solid and probably fluid filled.  The Techs guess on Hemmorahgic is just that, a guess.  A hemmorrahgic cysts can be the result of a normal follicular cyst (Like we all form every month to emit the egg)that does not emit the egg and resolve within the cycle as it should.  When they persist, they tend to fill with fluid and sometimes bleed into themselves, thus the name hemmorahgic.  So sounds like your Doctor is watching two cysts, one inside the ovary and one on the surface.  The reference to no echotexture on the surface cyst just means it is smooth, which is a good thing.  So when do you see your Dr. to discuss the results and plan?  It's hard not to but do try not to worry Penny and when you do, drop by, we are listening!  Mary V.
Helpful - 0
106886 tn?1281291572
Hi Penny,

I am going to suggest that you post your question again in a few days. There are quite a few women on this site who are either having surgery this week or are out of town. Also, sometimes I know that I "miss" a post as it gets "Sandwiched" between others. That just happens sometimes. But, I am sure that someone will know how to help you read that report. I wish it were me, but my knowledge is lacking in this area. I am wondering what would happen if you called your doctor's assistant or nurse triage and see if they can help explain it...or is only the doctor allowed to do that? Knowledge is power and I commend you for looking into getting clarification on this.

After my surgery, I went to a hospital library and did research that way. We've come a long way since the year 2000 :) ...but perhaps that is one option.

Come back on Saturday night and see if there is a "Cyber Party" going on. Ravenlady usually starts one and they are a blast. My 20 year old daughter gets concerned when she sees me with my gin and tonic (just for the cyber party, of course!) attending a virtual cyber party...but, hey, why not? Great people on this site!

Take care, Mary

Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.