Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

more advice- drug trials v health?

Hi Ladies,
Mum in law went to hosp today and can't have her chemo tomorro as she is still so ill.  She still has a water infection, and now the chest infection has become pneumonia.  They have told her today though that she must have the treatment next week no matter what or they will have to take her off the drugs trial she is on?
My husband and I are really concerned that they may be compromising her health? i.e she has been diagnosed as terminal so therefore lets just see what happens with this new drug? she was taking milk thistle with her last 6 months of chemo and it was halving her recovery time afterwards from 8 days to 4. This time they have said she can't take it as it will interfere with their results?
what should we do.  she is very very upset tonight as she feels like she can't do anything as she's so poorly, can't eat what she wants due to her gallstones, can't go anywhere as she is so weak and is generally very down and feeling ill.  we are going up to spend the weekend and taking lucas so she can have some time with her grandson (she says he is what is keeping her going)
what should we do? risk this treatment having good results and her maybe having a few more months but being ill or the time or ask them to stop and go back to the chemo that she had a few months remission on last time.  I am so so scared for her, she is very low tonight
I am sorry if I come on here and it's all bad news but I don't know where else to go
kind regards

mitten
xxx
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Do not apologize for asking for help. That is what we are all here for. It really is up to your mum, what is more important to her now? Quality of life or quantity of life? I'm so sorry to hear that her dx is terminal and that she is feeling so bad. Your entire family will be in my prayers.
Helpful - 0
132752 tn?1273342273
I'm so sorry to hear that your mum in law's situation is being handled as it is.  I was only involved in one trial study, and it wasn't for any chemo protocols.  I do know that I had to sign paperwork to give the docs permission to give me the meds.  Are you aware of any paperwork for your mum in law?  If you find any, it should give you a good idea as to where you stand with her treatment...if you decide to withdraw her from the trial.  Have you called her primary physician at all?  Any luck contacting Hospice?  In the meantime, I hope some of the cysters who have been on trials will be on to give their advice.

Rebel Spirit speaks for us all...don't apologize.  We're here for one another.  Hang in there.
peace,
Anne
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.