Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Ovarian cyst question

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum but it looks like a wonderful support system. Anyway, I'm 44, have one child and have had a nagging ache in my left ovary on and off for years. I've changed GYN's and had my annual on 6/21/06 and mentioned it to him. During the manual exam, I was tender on my left side.He did a transvaginal ultrasound and could not visualize the entire left ovary; said it was over to the left and up higher than normal. Part of the "aching" sensation I've had on that side has changed into a pulling/aching sensation over the last two months. Yesterday I had a pelvic CT which showed a"complex cystic mass in the left adnexa, appearing to originate from the left ovary. Difficult to tell on basis of CT if it is a solid portion of a complex mass or a cyst arising from an actual normal left ovary."The report gives the size as "4.8 by 3.5cm cystic masas which is either adjacent to an ovary or combined with a 5.4 by 2.1cm macrolobulated solid component." A transabdominal U/S and transvaginal U/S are strongly recommended by the radiologist. I'm scared! How bad does this sound? I called my GYN today and they were calling to get the report faxed to them. My CA125 is 10.1 Thanks for any info/insight anyone can give. I'm really, really worried....
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi everyone. I talked to my doctor this morning as he'd finally received my pelvic CT results. He said that the ovary would likely have to come out. He immediately looked up my labs(including CA125) and said it was all normal. Of course, I'm thinking in the back of my mind..."CA125 is not a reliable tests in pre-menopausal women"...but I kept my mouth shut. I told him that if I had my way I'd be on the OR table right now having everything removed! He asked if I had any history of "ovarian stuff," or endometriosis. There is no history of either. He wants me to have a barium enema done to r/o diverticulosis, see me shortly thereafter and discuss options. My appointment with him is set for July 14th. I wish I weren't a worrier, but I am. Looks like surgery is ahead...which is fine with me...I just wish I were having it today.

Thanks
Mandi
Helpful - 0
140437 tn?1215109742
My ca 125 is in the 40's too. Try not to worry about that horrible pointless test that achieves little more in pre surgery than frightening woman to within an inch of their sanity. Linda F will tell you about ca 125 Hopkins are now changing the normal value to 65 and are no longer doing the test because of the false positives/negatives. Know how you feel though, Linda has to talk me round on a daily basis everytime I think about it my heart sinks.

Anna x
Helpful - 0
Don't feel bad, on my first ultrasound  dr said he wantsme  to see to an gyn oncologist too.  From what I hear, that speciality of dr is the place to go. I do think they tend to refer all women with complex cysts to them so they can make the decision on whether if surgery is needed or not and what their opinion is. What's your drs opinion of what's happening with you?
Helpful - 0
I have everything both of you have stated except my CA_125 is at 47.  I have been referred to an oncologist and now am worried.

Tammy
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the responses. I seem to be bouncing back and forth between feeling like everything is fine to feeling like I'm in for bad news. If I had my way I'd be in the OR tomorrow having everything removed! I forgot to mention in my first post that my CT showed no fluid or adenopathy in my abdominal cavity. I know me though, I'll obsess until I have surgery and have whatever the problem is removed. I'm not good at the "wait and watch" approach. I know my new GYN is very, very conservative so we'll see what his approach will be. Thanks again. Although I hate that anyone else has these same worries, it sure helps to know I'm not alone :-)
Helpful - 0
Also, forgot to mention. I have that pulling sensation as well. I can't bend or lift because it will "pull" & it also upsets my stomach when I do. It must be from the cyst. From what I read, the cyst weighs down the ovary & sort of "pulls it downward" giving you that sensation.
Helpful - 0
I'm 42 yrs old & have complex solid mass/cyst on my left ovary. My CA125 also came back normal at 8. I freaked out at first too. BUT, (actually today) had follow up ultrasound & looks like my got mine got smaller & is not as complex as it was, but I'm have some ascites. SO, there is hope. What starts out bad may not turn out bad in the end. The dr will tell you 99% of tumors/cysts are benign, especially in premenopausal women. I'm actually still scared myself, but not as bad.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.