Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Kathy O can you tell it to me straight

Hi

I have been reading down various postings and I came across one you responded to.  You mentioned in your reply about coping from surgical menopause.

I am due for surgery on Monday. TAH and ovary/tumour removal (only have the one ovary). I am 45 but premenopausal.  Initially I refused HRT, but having discussed it with my doctor last week, I may go on because I don't want bone loss/heart risks.  He told me to wait until pathology was through but now I'm wrecked with pre-op nerves and I'm worried that I will have debilitating night sweats while in hospital trying to recover.

Can you give me some advice?  Should I request that my surgeon do an implant during the op?

Many thanks,

Ursula
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Sorry tried to post and site crashed Fri..... Hope your surgery is going well!!!  I did post on the other site to you I saw you were a member.  Go to there and look for one posted  SCOUTSHADOW.
Helpful - 0
Sorry forgot to mention that I haven't had a period for five years.  My oestrogen levels are low, but so is my FSH (1.2).  Will this 'help' in any way?  Throughout this time, I have been having the occasional flush - nothing I can't cope with.
Helpful - 0

Thank you, thank you, thank you, for posting.

That has put my mind at ease and I can now go to bed - it is 12.15am in England, well past my bed-time.

I do eat well and have been missing my exercises because I just get pains so bad it hasn't been worth it.  I am so looking forward to starting back on my work outs six weeks from now!

My husband will post on my behalf and let you know how I get on.

Good night,

Ursula
xx

Helpful - 0
Ursula:

I know you addressed Kathy, but my good friend who is 41 had a total hysterectomy in November of last year.  The only thing she takes is Evista, which I think is for the bones, and she has not had one menopause side effect.   She exercises and eats a healthy diet and is doing great.  She said she was worried like you, but actually feels wonderful.  I hope this may help you with your worries.  I just spoke with her last night, as I have the same worries...once those ovaries are gone, then what, right?
We'll be in the same boat by the end of July....so we can rely on each other for support.  I'll be thinking of you on the 3rd so please have someone post your status!!!

Hugs,
Shawn
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.