Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

does ascites always mean malignancy?

Does ascities (free fluid in cul-de-sac) ALWAYS mean malignancy? U/s in May showed solid mass left ovary with NO free fluid. Had follow up u/s today & cyst does NOT look as complex as it did before(tech told me this) BUT there is some ascites? I do see some swelling in my belly as well. How long does malignant ascites take to show up? Can it all of sudden occur with days or does it take a long time? Anyone know anything about this?
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
No. Sometimes cysts leak as they resolve and can put some free fluid in the belly. If you are pre-menopausal, a small amount of free-fluid in the cul-de-sac would be consistent with normal, healthy ovulation.

Linda
Helpful - 0

I agree with Linda. Ascites can be caused by benign tumours too. Also, it can come upon a person very abruptly. Not only did I have a considerable quantity of fluid, but my stomach swelled up suddenly one day shortly after Christmas. It seemed to deflate somewhat during the night, and then would gradually fill up again during the day.

Don't despair! Ascites does NOT automatically signal malignancy.
Best to you.
Helpful - 0
Thank you both for responding. That makes me feel a little better even thou I'm probably going to worry anyway. Litdoc,    that is what's been happening to me, it seems like my stomach goes up and down. Did your dr tell you what was causing your fluid build up? When did it go away?

Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.