Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

stupid question? if complex cyst resolves, should it still be followed up on?

I just went thru having an u/s in May showing "ovary is enlarged & has an abnormal echo pattern. It is predominantly solid in appearance but there is a 2.4cm cyst with a prominent solid internal component & marginal vascularity". Had consult with dr about these results. Told me due to my age(42 yrs) that it probably isn't cancer but discussed with me to send me to gyn/onc & to go to a cancer ctr & stage the surgery, etc, etc. I CA 125 came back normal. Follow up cat scan only showed enlarged ovary. So now just had follow up u/s last week & the results showed ALL this was GONE. Ovaries back to normal size. Even thou this is great news, is it possible? I'm just hesitant because he made such a big deal of the whole thing(as did my PCP) & I just want to make sure he is right. He is doing no follow up u/s either as he said the problem resolved & that is was a hemmoraghic cyst. What do you guys think?
9 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
132752 tn?1273342273
Hi...
My thought was that, considering the gyn/onc didn't order or review the test results, you would want to have that happen.  I had my screening (including set of us) done by my regular gyn.  When I saw the gyn/onc for the initial visit, he wanted to repeat them...especially the us.  The preference at MSK is for the radiologist to review those...in fact, they come into the room while they're being done.  Better safe than sorry.  You already have the contact with the gyn/onc, you might as well have them put their seal of approval on the resolution of the cyst.
peace,
Anne
Helpful - 0
A hemmoraghic cyst often presents with a central blood clot, which was probably the prominent central component. Most resolve within 2 months though one research article I read said a few can take a couple years. They are often identified because of a fine webbed appearance on ultrasound (often described as looking like cobwebs) and that central clot. 2.5 cm is also not terribly big - a cyst is regarded as more suspicious if it is over 5 cm. A hemmoraghic cyst is nothing more than ovulation gone awry. Instead of the corpus luteum dissolving, it bleeds into itself and persists or enlarges, then eventually resolves on it's own. Often a short course of birth control pills is given when it is a first observed, not to make the cyst go away, but rather to hold off ovulation so the the situation doesn't become more confusing.

Linda
Helpful - 0
132752 tn?1273342273
Did the gyn/onc do the most recent tests?
Helpful - 0
Last year I was suppose to have an emergency operation, since I had a septated cyst a lot smaller than the one I have now, and my ca 125 was 3 times higher than normal. I went for another u/s and found out it was no longer there. I didn't know what that meant, and My doctor got sick, so I was left in limbo until, I called up my friend at pre op and she found out for me. I wished I knew about this site than, I thought I was advanced in cancer, because of the ca 125.They made a lot of fuss before, than "nothing". I understand how you feel.  I am glad for you that it disappeared!!! Thank God.
Helpful - 0
Really! I wasn't sure as he made me initially feel like I already had cancer. I guess the test can't lie. Thanks for your quick response, you're always to helpful to everyone here. Also congratulations on your benign diagnosis. That is so nice to hear.
Helpful - 0
That was prominent SOLID not central component

L.
Helpful - 0
Actually that does help explain it a little more. They didn't explain it to me. The way I was reading it, I was taking it as a solid mass. The diagram that went with the u/s showed like a big blob over the ovary which didn't make me feel too good the way it looked.
Helpful - 0
turtledovemom: no the gyn/onc didn't do or see any tests as I was to be referred to him AFTER I was done with these tests, but it disappeared before I had a chance. Thanks for asking.
Helpful - 0
I think he's 100% bang-on and you have no worries

L.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.